Author Topic: Dalaman Airport Meeting - Answers  (Read 2459 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Dalaman Airport Meeting - Answers
« on: September 01, 2007, 06:41:30 AM »
Some of you that post on other Turkish related forums may be aware that I was invited by the management of Dalaman airport to discuss various complaints that they'd become aware of through reading posts on forums.

I'd passed on several comments to them on the basis of "you don't know you're doing wrong, 'til someone tells you" and was invited to have a chat about things.

I'd like to take this opportunity to make it quite clear that I'm not acting as spokesman for members of this, or any other forum, nor am I acting as self-elected chairman of any kind of action group. A personal invitation was extended to me, and I've accepted it in the hope that it will do us all some good.

After an informal meeting and lunch lasting just over an hour with Yildirim Oren, Deputy General Manager of ATM on Friday 31st August 2007 at Dalaman Airport, here is a brief outline of some of the points discussed.

Very Expensive Food and Drink

Prices for food and drink at airports are set by a central, government run, organisation. Management at Dalaman Airport are in discussion with that organisation regarding setting their own local pricing levels.

CIP Lounge

The entry price to the CIP lounge will be increased once all facilities there have been improved. The increase in entry fee is necessary to ensure that it is not "over-used". Although, the price will continue to be substantially below that of other international airport's VIP lounges.

Friends and Family Unable to Enter Departure Building

Anyone wishing to enter the departure building may do so, subject to passing through the first-line security scanners. Only passengers are permitted to pass beyond Passport Control. This is why there are two sets of security checks located in the building.

Furthermore, the work on the Park Café located on the edge of the vehicle park at the bottom of the ramp is almost complete. The main idea is that the café is for the use of transfer drivers and holiday reps and prices are more in line with those in the resorts. However, the café is open for the use of all visitors to the airport.

Friends and Family Unable to Enter Arrivals Building

This section of the airport is under the jurisdiction of the Customs / Gumruk and the National Security Forces. They will not allow visitors to enter. This is non-negotiable.

Parking Very Expensive

Prices set by a national office and are deemed to be "reasonable" when compared to other Turkish and International airports.

Payment Booth for Parking on "Wrong" Side

Drivers should pay for their parking at one of the Cashier's booths before trying to exit the car park. It's been suggested that there should be signs to this effect.

Lack of Comfortable Seating

The architect's dream of the concept of the building was interrupted before he got to the bit about comfortable seating ! The idea is that there is free flow and the feeling of space within the building. The management accept that lack of seating is a problem and they will be looking at ways in which improvements can be made without prejudicing the free flow of traffic during normal operations. There are also security considerations to be taken into account.

Smoking in Cafes

Further No Smoking areas will be introduced.

Flight Info on Website

It was mentioned that the website only shows arrivals and departures on a daily basis and that it's impossible to check on arrivals or departures for the early hours of the next day. This has already been recognised and programmers are working to provide the information on a "rolling 24 hour" basis.

Duty Free Staff Telling Lies About Allowances

Duty Free staff have been questioned about this and have, naturally, denied it. However, steps are being taken internally to trap these individuals in the process. Any documentary evidence i.e. film and or voice tapes, that can be provided by customers would be treated in the strictest confidence.

The concept of "Mystery Shoppers" was introduced and may be a way forward. Apparently, it's a concept that's not been used in Turkey in the past.

Possible Scam on Excess Baggage Payments

As above in the Duty Free comments

If anyone has any further comments to make regarding this please feel free to do so.

I've been invited back later in the year for a further informal meeting to discuss any other points that forum members would like to raise.

Contact has also recently been made by ATM with posters on German and Russian forums regarding any problems that they wish to share regarding the airport's operations.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 06:42:37 AM by KKOB »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf