Author Topic: Credit cards  (Read 3992 times)

Offline Lynn25

Credit cards
« on: July 13, 2012, 20:48:53 PM »
Hi,
Just a thought and apologies if there is another thread on this, have looked but can't find any, but out of curiosity does anyone know if any of the restaurants along the prom are happy to take credit card payments? Generally use cash because assume this is the preferred method of payment and have used debit card in a couple before but in case of emergencies would this be acceptable? Not expecting a list of names but in general would it be frowned upon.
Thanks.
Lynn

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Credit cards
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 21:02:09 PM »
My experience is that they would rather trust you to return the next day with cash, than take a credit or debit card - even if they have never seen you in their life before   :)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 22:24:00 PM »
It is highly likely that what Keith says, that they would rather trust you to return the next day with cash is true but credit cards are more widely accepted in Turkey than they used to be.

If the restaurant has a high turnover and earns enough money (there is an amount which I do not recall off the top of my head) through card payments per month then the banks do not charge them for transactions. If they do not take enough through credit card transactions per month then the banks charge for each transaction and in this case they will almost certainly prefer cash.

Trust me many Turkish people do not hesitate to charge a cup of coffee to their credit card so you should not feel that payment for meals and drinks will be frowned upon.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 23:31:03 PM by nichola »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 22:39:08 PM »
Very true that - the number of times I found myself behind someone in Migros buying a bag of crisps and paying with their credit card! Things have indeed changed - I remember trying to pay by card at the Harem many years back and the response was to wiggle the end of a telephone line with the obviously disconnected telephone plug on it. In any language that is "we don't want to use your credit card" - and as a complete stranger to them, I was told not to worry, come back and pay when I had got some liras. You wouldn't get that in the UK much  :)

Offline Lynn25

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 08:59:47 AM »
Thank you for your replies, as I say we do usually use cash but a couple of years ago, (even though I notified my bank that my debit card would be used abroad) when trying to draw out money it was blocked! Some glitch their end, luckily we still had a few 'emergency' lira until it was sorted so all was fine, just wanted to know in case anything untoward happened again! I remember our 1st time in Calis & only having 100 lira notes, we tried to buy a couple of efes, the note couldn't be changed & we were indeed asked to pay when we next passed, imagine that happening in England!! Thanks again and we will definitely be paying you a visit this year Nichola.  :D

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 09:36:16 AM »
Looking forward to seeing you Lynne and yes not so long ago since shop owners etc would look at you in horror if you presented even a 50TL note  :D

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 17:23:42 PM »
We have used a credit card three times in about 16 visits.  One occasion to buy a three piece suite, one in Eren Spot for furniture and one for kitchen white goods at the Beko shop.  All did not charge any extra for use.  However, we did ask about using a card at one place and they wanted an extra 8% for the use of the card.. We declined, we have never tried to use a card for a meal and always get the feeling that very few places want to accept cards.

Offline Findik

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 13:10:06 PM »
I know that the Orient Express takes credit cards but have never managed to use one anywhere else along the front.

Offline Brianbern

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 14:45:00 PM »
Have used credit card for many restaurants, supermarkets in Calis, Gunlukbasi and Fethiye over the years without any problem. Halifax Clarity is excellent as there are no charges for purchases worldwide --(Card is only available online).
Important that your bank is informed of expected use abroad to ensure no problems.

Offline starman

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 15:24:03 PM »
I use my credit card everywhere. Even when dominos come around to my door or the local lahmacun guy to my office for only 15 lira, always accepted.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf