Author Topic: Moped , scooters  (Read 5100 times)

Offline happy_flyer

Moped , scooters
« on: April 20, 2013, 10:48:12 AM »
Hiya can anyone tell me if you need a particular type of licence to rent say 125 cc moped twist and go type of thing or will my full uk licence cover me or just go rent one and not need anything?

Thanks
Alan.

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
Re: Moped , scooters
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 11:05:31 AM »
When I enquired I was told you need a full motorbike licence for anything over 50cc.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 11:13:32 AM »
Depends on who you rent from.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Moped , scooters
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 12:28:41 PM »
I agree with Mark and KKOB - but remember most travel insurance policies will only cover you up to 125cc - so even for me who has a UK motorcycle license - anything bigger and if you have not taken out a specific clause in your travel insurance that you have paid extra for - you will find you are not covered !!!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 12:38:51 PM »
Also, if you happen to get stopped by the Trafik Jandarma or Trafik Polis while you're in charge of a scooter / motorbike that you're not licenced for you're going to be in deep sh1te.

Offline happy_flyer

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 19:25:44 PM »
Well as we live here now travel insurance won't apply and I don't have a bike licence at all apart from probably a provisional I guess its going to be a no no then .

Offline happy_flyer

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 21:33:26 PM »
Ok rethink time, does anyone know if it possible to get a moped / motorbike added to my UK licence , how much it would cost , where it would be done?
Or shall I just give it up?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 21:55:53 PM »
You'll have to go through all the rigmarol of doing your CBT, test etc. Why not rent a Honda Pilot type buggy and you can go off road with it.

Offline happy_flyer

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 22:14:01 PM »
Oh they have CBT in Turkey too  >:( Do they do it in Fethiye ?

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 07:23:47 AM »
Hi HF - it might take some organising - but not too much cost but I would try to do it.
Where we used to live there was a driving school - called Fethiye Surucu Kursu - it is not far from the Otogar and we used to watch them teaching (primarily young people) how to ride a scooter / moped and basically it was ride up a street outside their office - turn around - return and stop. Then drive in between about 6 cones and stop and that was it - then they went off for their test.

So unless their is a written element - I suspect you could pay a translator or take a Turkish friend with you to better understand the cost and if their is a language test and go for it!

We would not be without our little moped (99cc - no tax - great mpg) - serves us really well on the flat in Fethiye and Calis - but too scary going up to you in Ovacik so you would need a 125cc if 2 of you were going to be doing that on a regular basis.

We have had ours 3 years next week and I have just booked my first MOT on line and will be taking it for a full service and oil change on Monday followed by the MOT on Thursday.

I am doing on average 1500 km per 8 months that we are here - so not a great deal but it is lovely to "pop out" and nip to places if you want to go there and back without waiting for buses or taking taxis.

I also like go off for a little mooch about on my own on housework days!!!!

The only thing I would say it that the hill down to Fethiye is a very dangerous road - often lots of loose gravel - often many drivers going far to fast - plus the annoyance in season of military spot checks - so it would be better if you could confine your self to riding around your own area and only doing that trip every now and then and very slowly. It might be worth hiring a bike for a day and trying to go up and down that hill before you make any firm decision - but without insurance cover (as you don't have a license I suspect the insurance wouldn't pay out!!!) be very very careful.

We have restricted ourselves to the flat and we have been as far as Saklikent  but that hill of yours frightens me!!!

Hope that helps - Ian

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf