Author Topic: Faster broadband  (Read 3794 times)

Offline screamlead

Faster broadband
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 08:54:06 AM »
Laptops are a good option being small and compact, wireless and can be moved around as required but they can also overheat too. The problem with desktops is they need regular servicing out here, meaning they need to be cleaned out every 3-4 months due to the heat and dust. With more space inside a desktop there is more chance of fluff and dust clogging up the cooling fans on the CPU and the powerpack resulting in major overheating which in turn makes everything work harder so the drives overheat too then crash the systems and trash the drives.
Problem is there are no 'qualified' service technicians in Fethiye, so they tend to send everything to istanbul which then costs lots to send and return by courier for something that can be done in 5 mins. Plus "Air dusters" - cans of compressed air cost a fortune here, if the firms in fethiye invested in a mini compressor they could literally "clean up!'

Offline corbindallas

Faster broadband
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 11:02:03 AM »
Yes I recommend laptop as well, we brought ours over from UK (Turkish keyboards are obviously a different layout and take time to get used to) and as said they do heat up a lot in the summer due to the obvious temp increase but no prob in 2 years very daily use and you can always buy a tray fan to help, they sell them in various places around Fethiye. Gold Computer in Fethiye also can service laptops and carry out minor repairs not sure on the compressor side of things but they have a basement with techies in to help. Re signal strength it can be hit and miss in certain parts of Uzumlu, depending on your phone line length, connection quality/electrician competency, modem type and provider we have lived at two different locations in Uzumlu and have had 5+mb service at both.

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
Faster broadband
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 12:33:35 PM »
The main problem with "laptops" is that people use them on their "laps"! There are normally airt vents underneath the machine to allow the air to flow & the inside of the machine to cool, I always make sure my laptop sits on a solid surface to allow the vents clear "air", in fact 4 bottletops are the perfect corner posts!

Offline jacqki

Faster broadband
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 19:24:04 PM »
Thanks all for the advise. Looks like best to bring over an English lap top then. Corbindallas we live out on the Cadianda road have you lived that side of Uzumlu?

Offline corbindallas

Faster broadband
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 10:01:22 AM »
Afraid not jacqki, there are some members on here that live down that way, maybe they can help on speed etc.

Offline goatman

Faster broadband
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 17:04:58 PM »
Hello jacgki
i dont know whether anyone has contacted you but i live up the cadianda road and the internet  is off and an all the time at the moment. We are on the 'up to 8mb unlimited2 package and when the internet is on its about 5mb but it drops all the time. we have spoke to ttnet many times and they say we are 2km from the nearest junction box and in the woods so what do you expect!!!! ASlso there are so many more people in the village now using adsl so this also causes problems. We find we can cope fine with the internet but we have our Tv through the internet and its unwatchable.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf