Author Topic: Wifi dongle  (Read 5094 times)

Offline mamion

Wifi dongle
« on: June 13, 2019, 21:42:23 PM »
Hi, as always I need a little help, we are due to fly out in all just under 6 weeks, and where we are staying does not have wifi. We need access for our granddaughter to be able to facetime home, she has down syndrome so will need to see who shes speaking to. Anyway, long story short last time we came out we were loaned a wifi dongle by a wonderful person so long as we added credit, and returned it as we received it which we did. We thought this year as we come so often we should invest in one. Please could someone tell me how we would go about this, where would we get one from, an approx cost and could we set it up using just mobile phones or tablet?
Thank you for reading and any advice you can give us.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Wifi dongle
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 21:51:38 PM »
I advise avoiding Turkish sim cards - use a pay as you go UK Vodafone sim, Vodafone are the only UK network who include Turkey as one of the free to use countries.

You can buy a dongle but any iphone or ipad can be used as a personal hotspot - it's quite easily set up in settings (but shout if you need any help).

Buy a sim just before you go, it will arrive in around 4 days. Keep an eye out for special deals on data on the vodafone website. At the end of the month you can simply chuck the sim away and get a new one next time.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 22:03:10 PM »
Choose a 30 day one then cancel at the end of the month: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bundles-and-sims/sim-only-data-bundles/

Or a Pay As You Go Sim with data: https://freesim.vodafone.co.uk/

Offline hornedfrog

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 08:17:15 AM »
Another alternative is to go on ebay or amazon and purchase a data-only sim card with preloaded data if you don't need calls or texts. I use them in my mifi device to share data with my kids. When you've exhausted the data (or less likely, time has run out), then throw it away and use the next one. No contract, no credit or address/utility bills checks, etc.

Easy-peasy.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 09:09:19 AM »
Interesting option hornedfrog, would you mind posting a link or two for these?

Cheers!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 11:19:22 AM »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 11:37:27 AM »
But for Turkey? I understood EE works in EU but not Turkey.

Offline mamion

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 14:24:42 PM »
Interesting, thank you, although it will mean getting phones unlocked etc, I'll  have a chat with my daughter see what she thinks about it! Thank you for your help and advice  very much appreciated. See you in a little over 5 weeks  8) ;D 8) ;D xxx

Offline hornedfrog

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 14:40:25 PM »
There's also the ebay choice https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xdata+sim.TRS0&_nkw=data+sim&_sacat=0

I've used both...there's a Vodafone sim 50Gb for around £20 but you need to look carefully...you can't buy a "phone" sim to put into a data-only device like a mifi; they'll cancel it if you're caught.

I'd check both Amazon and ebay; sellers are nearly always on both but you'll find they'll sometimes put offers on to make their sales quotas on one platform.

Good luck and pm me if you want to discuss.
Dale

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf