Author Topic: Burglar-bars  (Read 6289 times)

Offline rpg9000

Burglar-bars
« on: September 30, 2010, 17:40:34 PM »
I've noticed whilst trawling through the property ads that many of the villas in Calis have unsightly burglar bars. Is burglary a major problem, or is it just properties that are left empty for long periods that need this sort of protection.

I ask because I gave up on South Africa after four years because I was sick of living behind security grills/electrified fences/eight-foot walls etc.

Offline scooby doo

Burglar-bars
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 18:12:48 PM »
Well im afraid that there does seem to be a lot of breakins,in all of the areas. :-\

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Burglar-bars
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 18:31:22 PM »
My good lady wife and I lived in the Akarca area of Fethiye for almost five & a half years with grills on our windows. Like, I should suppose, many other Brits over there, we soon got to look upon them as 'decorative', rather than than ' unsightly' or 'obtrusive'. Indeed, when one has lived there for anything more than a month or so, if a property does NOT have security grills, it kind of looks 'out of place'.

Re. the situation in South Africa, I would suggest that the need for such 'security measures' as you mention, probably has some reflection on the abominable way that Britain, (& other so-called civilised European nations ), treated the indigent population for centuries. [:(!][:(!]
Gordy.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 18:33:20 PM by GordonA »

Offline Steve A

Burglar-bars
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 20:34:49 PM »
I dont think burglaries are anywhere near as prevalent as they are in the UK its just that we notify each one and/or suspicious incident on this forum as a security measure.Anywhere in the world where there are a large number of empty properties or rich pickings during tourist season you will have a problem.The grilles are for security,can be made ornamental and will hopefully deter.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Burglar-bars
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 06:08:32 AM »
There's a 24hr. Burglar Bar next to the Meri Bar in Calis

Offline Gavos999

Burglar-bars
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 07:38:34 AM »
burger 24 is sooooo good well done heidi your toasties are to die for!

Gordon ....your profice pic freaks me out !

gav

Offline rpg9000

Burglar-bars
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 12:14:08 PM »
Burglar bars decorative!  That's like me saying that the air filter thingy stuck on my throat is decorative.  OK, if I stuck an amusing little smiley face on it I might get away with it, but otherwise it's an unfortunate but necessary appendage. By the way, you'll have to wait until my avatar gets sorted to appreciate that one (note to Mr Scunner: Please do not crop it out).

Gordy - I envy you as you seem to exist in a wonderfully simple dimension where everything is just so black and white (yes, pun intended).  I'm tempted to ask where you lived in South Africa and for how long, but firstly I think I know the answers and secondly it's a whole new topic. However, I'll be over in Turkey next August if you'd like to meet up, quaff a few beers and talk b*ll**k*.

tinkerman -that's made my morning - it would be fun to have you join us for the above-mentioned get-together.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 12:20:30 PM by rpg9000 »

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Burglar-bars
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 12:27:21 PM »
rpg9000     knowing SA as we do, Mr Pookie and I would say that you will not experience crime in fethiye/Calis in any way similar to that experienced in SA.   Different league entirely.

We also hated the thoughts of blocking out the beautiful views with bars - but actually we looked around and chose ones that enhanced the property (as well be being very functional) and love the look.  Our neighbours do not have bars, have been broken into twice, and the property does look bare with out them.  So I have to agree with Gordy on that one.

Offline rpg9000

Burglar-bars
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 12:48:16 PM »
Thanks for the input pookie - I appreciate it and that's why I joined up with this forum.

I didn't think for one moment that Calis could "compete" with Sarf Ifriker, but I just didn't notice many bars around where I stay in Ovacik, and it did raise (subdued) alarm bells. OMG, another pun!

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Burglar-bars
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 20:47:16 PM »
Don't 'envy' me, rpg,I am more than happy with the 'dimension'? in which I live!( Number 5!!) (dubious nickname by the way, considering what our lads/lasses are facing over in the 'Stan')[:(!][:(!] As for S. Africa, I have never, ever lived there, but have academically studied the history/politics of the same. You are perfectly correct in stating that it is another topic. Oh,  and by the way, if you ever do have the good fortune to meet up with me, you will very soon be made aware that I, for one, NEVER talk Bollox.
Gordy.

Gavos, there is a very valid reason for the change of Avatar, ask Tokay! : :): :) But it is a bloomin' cracker,innit??
But if you think that is scary, you obviously never saw the pics of how Loz dressed me up for the Charity Quiz a couple of years back!!!! WOOOOOOOOOO!! :o :o
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 20:53:46 PM by GordonA »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf