Author Topic: Driving Licence  (Read 6721 times)

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Driving Licence
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 09:17:37 AM »
We met someone yesterday who aid they are now tightening up on ex pats.  I am wondering how true this is.  The couple have lived here 3 years and don't drive themselves but they said cars are now being towed away if you haven't got a turkish licence...

Offline starman

Driving Licence
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 05:04:25 AM »
I know of 100s of expats here who drive everyday and have never heard of the police making problems regarding licenses.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Driving Licence
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 05:46:38 AM »
I was stopped in a check between Kas and Kalkan last week. All my papers were checked and they accepted my UK licence without question. I've lived here almost 4 years and haven't lived at the address on the licence for over 6 years.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Driving Licence
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 08:22:23 AM »
Hmm, I now don't know what to do.  We both have the eu photo id cards.  Dave thinks we're OK but I am worried now.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
Driving Licence
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 08:40:52 AM »
According to someone on another forum where the question is also being discussed, holders of foreign passports are not required to have a Turkish driving licence when driving in Turkey, provided that their foreign driving licence is valid in the country in which it was issued.

However, if you have duel nationality, with one of those nationalities being Turkish, or Turkish citizenship, then you will need a Turkish driving licence.

Apparently, this information has been supplied to the poster by a former officer in the Mugla Trafik Polis after checking the April 2008 regulations.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Driving Licence
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 08:28:52 AM »
OK, this is the latest from the British Consulate in Fethiye.....

quote:
Thank you for your enquiry. Because of the number of the enquiries we received from the community we liaised with the deputy chief of police who's in charge at the traffic department in Fethiye. According to the information we obtained from him, the foreigners who've been resident in Turkey for more than 6 months or 1 year have to apply for a Turkish driving licence, the translation of driving licence would not be accepted. If not they could be fined.

You can apply the traffic department in Patlangiç to change your current British driving licence to a Turkish one.

For more accurate information and about the procedure please contact the traffic department located on the right hand side before the Letoon Hospital turn on the way to Antalya. Tel: 6469811.

Kind regards,

Ahmet Dorduncu
Pro Consul
British Honorary Consulate
Ataturk Caddesi
Likya is Merkezi
Kat:2 No: 202
48300 Fethiye
Mugla
Tel : + 90 252 614 63 02
Fax: + 90 252 614 83 94
e-mail : bhcfethiye@superonline.com
Web  :  www.britaininturkey.com

« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 08:30:30 AM by Rindaloo »

Offline karen and pauline

Driving Licence
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 12:17:43 PM »
Hi
Have just returned from Dalyan visiting family and this topic was being discussed by many people.  In the past it has not been a problem to drive with your valid UK licence but according to some Turkish friends and a british friend that is married to a Turk who has also been the Analolian Sky rep for many years the police in all areas are not cracking down on this much more.

She is currently going through the process of changing her licence, having it translated/notorised etc. and was going to report back on the process to my sister etc. when done.

I think it is another one of those things that people have not worried about for so long that you get different stories and it all depends on who you are stopped by or where you are but it does seem like the official law as in the previous post is now being carried out more, so long term I think it may be something that residents will need to do.

Karen

Offline Suzanne

Driving Licence
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 15:31:11 PM »
hello
What about insurance ? I have a scooter which i use when i come to Calis once a year for about 3 weeks. I have uk driving licence but not uk scooter licence and have uk insurance...do i need turkish insurance for 3 weeks ?
Suz

Offline starman

Driving Licence
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 06:30:12 AM »
No. Some insurance companies do make a problem but only those that have residence permits and have been here longer then a year.
The big insurance companies dont make a problem but the little ones have been known to do this.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
Driving Licence
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 06:39:37 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Suzanne

hello
What about insurance ? I have a scooter which i use when i come to Calis once a year for about 3 weeks. I have uk driving licence but not uk scooter licence and have uk insurance...do i need turkish insurance for 3 weeks ?
Suz

Are you saying that you don't have Turkish insurance for the scooter?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf