Author Topic: 500 QUID  (Read 11099 times)

Offline Sus

500 QUID
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 08:21:35 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Linda

Madmickey .. do you think it wise to state details of your financial situation on a public forum?!

No it is really silly to do so, unless you are taking the Micky:P

Offline davybill

500 QUID
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 08:59:46 AM »
yes i think you can micky, if you put your savings in a monthly account in the turkish bank.
and draw the interest,9/11percent when you need it, but i would rent first,unless you have already bought your appartment.

Offline Sus

500 QUID
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 09:25:13 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by davybill

yes i think you can micky, if you put your savings in a monthly account in the turkish bank.
and draw the interest,9/11percent when you need it, but i would rent first,unless you have already bought your appartment.

Don't forget you have to pay tax on that 9/11 percent.

Offline kizkucuk

500 QUID
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 09:59:22 AM »
I think £500 is quite a lot - depends on your planned lifestyle - if you are going to be eating english style and buying lots of meat and eating out several times a week your money will not go as far - if you are eating more of a Turkish diet and having a night out a week you'll have money to spare -  alcohol is expensive as is meat.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
500 QUID
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 10:02:35 AM »
£8.33 per person per day is quite a lot for an adult to live on?!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
500 QUID
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 10:07:22 AM »
Minus £3.29 a day healthcare of course

£5.04 a day to feed a grown adult, heat (and cool) your home as required, council tax, etc etc

It's a 3 bedroom apartment they plan to live in not a cave :D

Offline anna-marie01

500 QUID
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 10:17:15 AM »
Fred Flintstone couldn't have lived on that amount. :D

Offline Old Daffodil

500 QUID
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 10:30:36 AM »
Are there maintenance costs on the apartment to consider?Does it have a pool to pay upkeep on?
You obviously do not intend to run a car on that amount but would you want to travel? A dolmus trip to one of the nearby villages can easily cost about five pounds for two.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:58:22 AM by Daffodil »

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

500 QUID
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 11:06:01 AM »
My main concern for you is that you could be making the mistakes that some Brits have made in the past and are still making when they go to Turkey in that they do not have adequate stable income. They are at the mercy of the financial markets and trying to live off interest on a small capital sum. At one time interest rates in Turkey were at least twice what they are now.The fall of rates and impact of high inflation has left many of them on the breadline and something like the new health insurance will be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Once you start spending your capital you automatically lower your income because you are getting less interest and it just spirals out of control.To gain this interest you will have to convert your capital sum to TL. If you went to Turkey last year and converted your sterling to TL, it would now be worth 15% less in sterling terms.

Remember that Turkey does not have a benefits system like the UK.

Think long and hard before you decide you are going to live in Turkey.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:07:42 AM by Ovacikpeedoff »

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
500 QUID
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 11:21:11 AM »
Do you have a property in the UK that you could rent out to give you a steady income?

You probably could just about manage on £500, just basic living costs, depending on how you want to spend your days,but if you're coming here to enjoy the area and all that it offers, make friends, go out socially,help with charity work, have a hobby, take Turkish lessons, travel etc you don't want to be worrying about every penny and not making the most of it.

I don't know if you're planning to have a car, but these are very expensive and expensive to keep on the road too.

Are you bringing your own furniture etc? Again, these things aren't cheap, even kitting out your kitchen with basic equipment is expensive, so you will need a budget for these things too, and wont be able to do all of that out of the £500 a month.

Also bear in mind that when family and friends come over you will want to go and show off your lovely new country and will find that you tend to live like a tourist while theyre here.

You also need to factor in travel back to the UK, for visits, or in case of any emergencies.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf