Author Topic: Importing your car to Turkey  (Read 4607 times)

Offline Elsa Padfield

• Minehead, UK
Importing your car to Turkey
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 11:12:43 AM »
We saw some really fabulous old trucks this summer whilst we went out into the back and beyond.  What a great idea!

Offline vicky

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 21:36:31 PM »
can we drive our car to turkey and sell it after 6 months to a turkish resident, or do we have to take it  back out of the country, and if so how long for before we bring it back

Offline starman

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 05:27:43 AM »
You can bring it for 6 months but you can NOT sell it to a Turk but you can to another foreigner but they must understand that just because the car has been sold to them doesnt mean it can stay 6 months longer.
The car gets whats called a triptik (its own kind of visa) with its reg and chasis number on it. It gets 6 months in and then has to stay out for 6 months. After its 2nd 6 month stint it can not come back to Turkey.

Offline maria

• Alfreton, UK
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 13:18:32 PM »
Starman, I have heard from a friend in Turkey that there are going to be some sort of change or relaxation of the laws regarding taking cars into Turkey. Have you heard anything?

Thanks

maria x

Offline starman

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 16:41:27 PM »
The only change that has happened is the new structure for working out the outrageous deposit system. Apart from that there is nothing but all new amendments to laws regarding customs and imports and exports get faxed to my office. Take for example the new law regarding pets, you can no longer send them to Turkey as unaccompanied cargo.

Offline tel

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006, 18:48:17 PM »
I guess then that you can keep bringing/driving a different car into Turkey every 6 months then after you take the last one out.
Or do they limit that?  Any problems attached if you buy a Turkish registered car as an European, with the intention of regular trips to the Uk, to say bring in personal effects etc?
Tel

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 19:11:28 PM »
The only problem you might encounter with using a Turkish registered vehicle for regular trips to the UK is that you get targetted by HM Customs & Revenue at port of entry. If you're not carrying anything illegal, you've got nothing to worry about. It can still make you sweat a bit though ! LOL

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2006, 04:52:53 AM »
Tel
Not sure you're saying what I think you're saying?
You own car A, your neighbour owns car B.
You both go out on the ferry to Greece, your neighbour & you swap cars/paperwork in Greece (legally of course). Do the cars become orphans meaning neither of you can bring them back?
Alternatively you have a friend in Greece with same car as you (B) you take car A over & swop it for car B. As long as you don't bring same car in twice & buy a new one every 2 years or find more Greek friends then it might work - be a total pain though!
Orphaned cars - whatever next? Use the dolmus instead or buy a bike.
Says she - who doesn't know if she can survive without a car despite the great dolmus service 30yds away?
Linda

Offline starman

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2006, 05:47:45 AM »
that wont work because of the car registration details and whose name it is under.

Offline starman

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2006, 05:49:37 AM »
Tel,
After several trips it would be cheaper just shipping a container over.
Not sure of how much a return trip is as I have only done it one way but I bet the old boy in the mountains knows.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf