Author Topic: Intimidation in Fethiye  (Read 3878 times)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Intimidation in Fethiye
« on: October 27, 2009, 15:44:40 PM »

Even though it can cause me to lose business I always recommend to my (potential) customers to actually go into Fethiye centre not just visit the Tuesday market. There are some nice shops there and it is a pleasant place to while away an afternoon or evening.

However one of my customers reported back to me a very unpleasant experience that left both her and her husband feeling quite traumatized.

They purchased and paid for a carpet and then were also looking at the mosaic chandeliers. However when they decided not to buy one (even though they had bought a no doubt over priced carpet) the people in the shop got really nasty and threatening.

They were just a young couple and were clearly very distressed by the whole experience. It makes me want to think again before I recommend Fethiye for shopping.

I unfortunately can't name the shop because I don't know it but I can tell you it sells carpets, Kilims and mosaic lanterns and there is only one shop in Fethiye centre that I know of that does both. (It was not Unique by the way.)

Offline Eric

Intimidation in Fethiye
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 16:26:42 PM »
You should have showed them some of your marvelous lights Nichola, it would have saved them the unfortunate hassle.  I know its great to be wise after the event, me I mean not you: :)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Intimidation in Fethiye
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 17:19:24 PM »
as it happens that's how I met them, but I nearly always suggest people look around and compare quality and prices before buying. That was part of the problem they were comparing with mine and of course I'm happy to say they did come back and buy from me: I can't resist showing you what they bought as long as I'm on image shack as well:

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Intimidation in Fethiye
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 19:36:19 PM »
My daughter had a similar experience in August and it sounds like the same shop.

Fortunately her 6ft 5" builder / weight lifting / husband to be (of course you can marry my daughter  ;)) made it clear that No meant No - but my daughter was so put off she would not return to the town centre shopping area again - and she is quite a tough spirited teacher in a secondary school!

Madness - can't other reputable traders get together and deal with "sharks" like this and the "money exchange man" as ultimately they will put people off shopping in town totally! [:(!]

Ian

Offline milliemars

Intimidation in Fethiye
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 23:38:10 PM »
We bought all our lights from Fethiye light center,there is so much choice and prices range from really cheap to the most expensive.

Offline Harmless

Intimidation in Fethiye
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 17:57:11 PM »
We bought all the  lights for our home, from the light centre as well and have always taken our clients there for a really great choice.  Plus everything is priced!
Nichola's light is beautiful though, very similar to one we bought for our friend who got married here, maybe it was her shop we bought it from.

Offline nuttybird

Intimidation in Fethiye
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 12:54:28 PM »
On the topic of feeling intimidated in Fethiye town, i felt the same, myself and the fella felt the same this year but just in general, i dont know if it was just a bad year, as all the other times have been ok, but we fancied going into Fethiye for the day, so off we went, we were there for about 2 hours and headed back i felt really intimidated, which takes a lot, and i can not put my finger on it but i just was not happy there. Very strange!

Offline Steve A

Intimidation in Fethiye
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 12:11:22 PM »
I love Fethiye have been going for four years now and the only time I have ever felt intimidated was on my very first visit when collared by some bloke from a spice shop in the pas parteur near the Duck pond,I had to get physical with him to leave and thought his mates were going to join in until they thought better of it.He still gives me funny looks to this day although he has moved up to near the fish market.The rest of the time I think Fethiye is a wonderful place day or night.

Offline june

Intimidation in Fethiye
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 11:24:32 AM »
I think that a lot of the turks working in the shops around the paspatur are very pushy, and they always ask...'tourist'??, I always say no I live here...usually works.   :)

Offline Jenny1

Intimidation in Fethiye
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 14:38:47 PM »
I went to Fethiye in Oct,as was staying in Calis. I think you always get pestered there, but this time I think it ws because it was end of season?
I was in paspatur, near the big shop that sells carpets, cushhons etc, opp bedding shop.
I wanted to but some large floor cushion covers, and maybe a nice throw.
I was frightened of moving my head to look at anything, it was awful. The man got up off his stool shouting "carpet, you want carpet. I answered, Thanks, but I don't need a carpet. To which he replied, "No, but I need your money!" Then the Turkish delight man started, then the man on the spice/soap stall man! Horrible.
It was about 7 in the evening and not a lot of people about, and being on my own found it a bit unnerving.
In the end, (I think I was only there about 4 mins)i'd had enough ad went to have a pide and a drink in Nefi pide!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf