Author Topic: Hotel Pelin - Book Early For Best Prices  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Hotel Pelin - Book Early For Best Prices
« on: December 09, 2009, 22:41:44 PM »

Don't blame me, I only provide the space not the price  8)

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 17:39:36 PM »
I'd like to let you know about my stay in the Pelin this trip. There were substantial differences this trip compared to our stay last Sept/Oct. Optional Buffet dinner for those on B&B basis was 20TL last year, it's 30TL this year. 50% is a huge jump. There's new head waiter, all suited up, a bit of a swagger on and brimming with confidence. Well I think he must be on commission! To the point of being a pest, he tries the hard sell for everything. He repeatedly asks why people drink water with their meals and don't take a bottle of wine......28TL for a bottle of Angora that's 11TL in Carrefour supermarket??? He also comes round the pool constantly asking if you want a drink, ice cream, cake & coffee, even shaking sunloungers where people are obviously sleeping on them. It was very irritating.
But the biggest mistake he did really took my brain and my temper. For those who have been there, you will be aware of the many many tips boxes lying everywhere around the hotel.
He would constantly pin hand written notices on them saying things like "it is free to put your money in here", or "PLEEEEESE put money in me". But the final insult was the one which said, "I am here to look after your money but I am empty becuse of our tight guests. Please don't be tight and put your money here". I saw red! I openly challanged him and he said he thought it was funny, a joke. I told him it was rude and cheeky, especially as it was only written in English (there were many other Europeans and Eastern block guests in the hotel)and he should remove it instantly before causing upset to other guests. He did do just this. Like us, I explained to him that mosts guests would probably leave a tip at the end of their holidays rather than after every meal. Needlessly to say, he avoided me for the rest of my holiday.
The plus side to the Pelin is the reception staff are most helpful and polite, the maids are so hard working, and it has a high standard of cleanliness. Would I go back?..............mmmmm need to think about that for a wee while. 8)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 18:35:56 PM »
Yes, numerous people I have spoken to over the years have had their breath taken away by the brass neck of various workers asking for a tip. It's tragic, if only they knew that the one way to guarantee not getting a tip from most of us is to ask for one.

Offline cheers

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 20:11:02 PM »
With that attitude he wouldn't even get 1tl out of me!!  I don't expect hassle like this when I am on holiday.  I have encountered this once before and that was from a waiter in Icmeler who 'needed money for his sick sister'!  Needless to say he got nothing either! This is probably why we only go B&B.  We always leave a tip, how much depends on the quality of food, service etc. The maids are the ones who get the smallest share so always make sure I give it to them personally, not just leave it in the room.

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 07:51:37 AM »
In Northern Cyprus the hotel we stayed in had one box at the reception.  We had to ask where it was.  We also asked if it was shared around all staff.
Normally we pay and tip as we go.  This hotel we had to pay at reception.  We payed after two days then at end of holidays and gave a generous tip.
The attentive waiter, (who served us at night and made a few mistakes) , barely said goodbye to us at the end of the  hols.  
Can only guess he expected his own tip!!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf