Author Topic: Veggie!  (Read 3578 times)

Offline LJW

Veggie!
« on: February 21, 2010, 13:23:36 PM »
Hi all, I am due to have my first visit to Turkey in August and can't wait. We are going self catering and wondered what the shops are like for veggie food, eg quorn and the like. Also are packages labled that they are veggie or not!! :o

Any advice would really help.

Thanks

Offline ronzeus

Veggie!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 14:03:39 PM »
The way meat is rising in price in Turkey ,we will all be veggies by August.Fresh veg is still cheap,havent seen quorn.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Veggie!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 15:06:41 PM »
My daughter is a non meat eater, hates being called a Veggie, because she does not like vegetables very much.  There is no quorn in the supermarkets, so no fake meat dishes.  Plenty of pizzas, even the ones we can buy in the U.K. but she did miss her quorn.  There are lots of fresh fruit and vegetables to be had in the markets, lovely fish and freshly baked bread,  but if you want quorn, bring your own, she did on her second visit.

Offline LJW

Veggie!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 16:02:37 PM »
Jacqui, how did your daughter get the quorn to Turkey?

Ronzeus, glad to hear veg is nice and cheap, an advantage for us veggies  ;)

Offline busybee

Veggie!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 16:11:43 PM »
Dont know if this helps but you can soya mince in Migros, not sure about Carrefour.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Veggie!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 17:16:50 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by LJW

Jacqui, how did your daughter get the quorn to Turkey?

Ronzeus, glad to hear veg is nice and cheap, an advantage for us veggies  ;)

Hi, you will find a lot of CBF members take food out with them, sausages and bacon are favourites.  Food can be put with a freezer block and then wrapped in tin foil and put in your suitcase.
You will be amazed at just how cheap the fruit and vegetables are, and they taste nothing like the stuff in the U.K.  They are so full of flavour. :D

Offline LJW

Veggie!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 21:28:05 PM »
Thanks to all the above, I am looking forward to trying the veggies out (not as much as the alcohol though)!!

Think I will take a recipe book with me!

Offline miaspyro

Veggie!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 17:31:35 PM »
also bean rice and pulses, are plentiful here and cheap.  Many turkish dishes are made with out meat, and cheese olives yoghurt available everywhere.

Offline lissa

Veggie!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 21:10:25 PM »
Soya meat substitute is often available to buy in Migros, if you are able to cook.
 But not a problem to ask if meat is a in a dish, if in a lokanta for instance. Just ask! ET??? (the word for meat) they will soon tell you.
Lots of choice for vegetarians. Fantastic country really for vegetarians....................and for us meat eaters who need a bit of salad..............

Offline valleyboy

Veggie!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 21:16:27 PM »
I'm a vegetarian and as stated by others there are no quorn type products available, but trust me when you see the vegetables on offer particularly in the markets, you will not need or indeed want to use any meat replacements.

Turkey is one of the best countries in the World for vegetarian food (in my opinion), as they use lots of vegetables in their dishes, the restaurant food is quite exquisite, my wife who is not a "veggie" doesn't eat much meat at all when we are in Turkey.

If you do miss the products it is also good advice to take out some of your quorn products and Linda McCartney sausages, frozen and in thermal packs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf