Author Topic: Driving to Turkey  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Evie

Driving to Turkey
« on: December 19, 2004, 12:57:02 PM »
We are living in Turkey for about 8 months of the year now and want to move some of our more personal stuff over there. Can anyone give advice on driving to Turkey i.e. what is the best route? how much does it cost? what docs do we need? how long would it take? Are there any restrictions on what can we take into Turkey? Any info would really help us make the decisiion whether to drive the stuff over or to ship it. We currently don't have a residents visa as we come back to the Uk every 3 months for a couple of weeks - would this affect what we can take into Turkey?
thanks for any help
Evie

Offline fendlyra

Driving to Turkey
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 08:50:43 AM »
hello i have driven from Izmer to Mamaris we used the tole road,
the cost for 100km was only 80pence yes 80p.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Driving to Turkey
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 15:17:29 PM »
If you haven't got a residence permit I wouldn't bring very much stuff with you. No more than you would take on a holiday.You need the original vehicle documents, green card insurance, passports etc.

We shipped the majority of our stuff over in August. It cost us a total of about £4,000 for the contents of a 4 bedroom house. However, we didn't bring a TV, washing machine, freezer or beds because it's cheap to buy over here.

A few weeks ago I drove from Fethiye to Northants and back in my Turkish registered Nissan pickup to collect a few things that we'd left behind. I also had a shopping list of extras for Xmas. The route I took was Istanbul,Bulgaria, Serbia,Hungary, Austria, Germany,Belgium, France. Ferry from Calais to Dover.

To be perfectly honest I didn't keep a close check on the cost. You will have to pay road tolls in Serbia and Hungary which are the equivalent of just a few pounds. I would advise that you change about £40 into local currency at the border to cover tolls, fuel and food. ( Although you'll find that many places also accept Euros. But don't rely on it. )At the Hungarian / Yugoslavian border you cannot change Hungarian Florints to Yugoslavian Dinars or vice versa. They just don't accept them! The best thing to do is to use them up on food or fuel.

When you enter Yugoslavia beware of the speed trap about 1 kilometre along the road. If you get caught it's an on the spot fine. If you don't have Yugoslavian Dinars the Police will take your passport off of you (they won't give you a receipt for the passport )and send you back to the border for the money.

Northants to Fethiye is about 2500 miles and I took about 4 days each way. As you can see that's an average of over 600 miles per day. So it's a pretty gruelling trip.

Depending on the time of year that you intend to travel it would be wise to check the snow conditions from Hungary downwards and especially through central Turkey as there are many roads that become impassable to vehicles without snowchains. You'd be well advised to take the coast road around Turkey in the winter months. It adds about 200 miles to the journey but it's much safer.

My advise is that you don't have a residence visa, don't bring your stuff out here by car! If you've got a residence visa and a sense of adventure, drive out.

I'm glad I did the trip for the adventure. I wouldn't do it again though !!

Offline xanadu

Driving to Turkey
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 15:59:47 PM »
I would love to try it.
Another route which is quicker is to drive to Brindisi in Italy, (not sure if I spelt that right), and get the ferry to Cesme or Izmir.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
Driving to Turkey
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 16:50:41 PM »
I've heard that the ferry is about £600. Is that true?

Offline number2

• More than just a member
  • Prolific Member
Driving to Turkey
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 18:20:07 PM »
Rather than pay £4000 to bring your furniture over, wouldn't it be easier to sell everything & buy new in Fethiye, i'm lucky my apartment was fully furnished, so all i've got to do is replace as i feel fit. But still looking forward to living in Calis, can't wait. Alan
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 18:20:56 PM by number2 »

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
Driving to Turkey
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 20:58:31 PM »
We decided to pay that amount because we lived in a 400 year old house in the UK and many of the items that we brought with us were valuable antiques. We also had many sentimental items that we couldn't sell together with a large amount of equipment for use in our business.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf