Author Topic: Mass Exodous  (Read 4535 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Mass Exodous
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 15:48:31 PM »
Everything is relative - on CBF many regular visitors said that eating out was very expensive, while first time visitors posted saying they thought it was amazingly cheap compared to wherever they have recently holidayed. We can't all live in the past where people used to sell their UK property for £90k, pay of their £70k mortgage and stick the 20 grand in the bank and live in the sun off 40% interest and meals at 5p for a 3 course meal.

The one thing you must remember with Turkey is that they do come up with ludicrous new laws ad it does seem to be aimed at making money out of non-nationals living in the country. As with the 90/180 day visa people need to stand up as one and someone might realise it's a mistake. Whispering about going home is not going to help change anything. The health insurance requirement hasn't happened and is another half baked, unthought through idea which will probably be ditched anyway.

You have beer at 3 lira, no mortgage, no 2 grand a year council tax, cheap buses that go from 100 metres away to anywhere, sunshine and blues skies.

Once again, if you want to live abroad (I don't), I can't think of somewhere more varied and competitive. It is not right to say that leaving out property prices, Turkey is getting expensive.  If your 2 bedroom apartment you retired to in Gunlukbasi cost you 45k and you need 150k to buy it in Spain, then the 105k difference should be in your bank account earning interest for you to live off. If you want to/need to eat cheaply, I believe it is the best place on the planet to do so.

I have argued against many things in, or about Turkey - but as a place to retire to I cannot see better. Times are harder of course because of the interest rates but let me tell you, times are hard here too!

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Mass Exodous
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 16:01:10 PM »
I think they may be in for a few shocks on return to the UK, many changes have been made to benefit system etc and is due to change a lot more in the very near future also jobs are not so easy to come by now.

Offline littlereddevil

Mass Exodous
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 18:08:50 PM »
When I was younger I always thought I wanted to live abroad.Now a few years have passed and I have changed my mind as I think I may get bored. I find Turkey very cheap compared to UK and can eat very cheaply if need be. I now hope and pray that when my OH retires we will be able to afford to keep a home in the UK and go to our home in Turkey for long holidays. However who know what tomorrow will bring.

Offline jackstee

Mass Exodous
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 18:40:19 PM »
Ok
Scunner
I agree.
As an expat who joined the Navy at 15, and reaches 60 next year, I have only lived in UK for about 5 years sice then.
We bought in Turkey the other year, but of course, still have to work so only get a couple of months a year to stay there. To buy our house in Turkey , we sold the UK one. So home is Turkey.
Now anyone like us, or anyone still with a home in UK can benifit from the Bank %. I don't se the inflation because I don't stay 12 months year. If I lived in UK and only holidayed in Turkey, then it makes sence to have a bank account there. 8 percent is a lot better than 0.001 in UK.
And yep I agree, very difficult for those who used to depend on the 19% they used to pay, but I can still get a 3 course meal, with wine( and possibly a free Raki) at 20 pound for 2.
And it's a good meal.
Prices are going up in UK dont forget and the balance will soon be restored.

Steve

Offline Julesp

Mass Exodous
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2010, 20:35:32 PM »
I live here on a widows pension Not much but enough to get by on, if I lived in the UK I think I would have to work to supplement it, just hope in the years to come that it keeps up with Turkeys inflation and the exchange rate.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Mass Exodous
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 05:44:37 AM »
If you draw up a list of all the pros and all the cons for the UK and similar for Turkey......but be honest and include everything you can think of and perhaps do this in conjunction with other people....For most of us Turkey will win hands down.

The only thing which muddies the water for us is that the goalposts on so many things get moved so often....that is if you can find the goalposts in the first place.

One thing that seems to get mentioned is the comment "I can't afford to live here any more" [?]So how could you afford to live in the UK?  It is possble to live healthily and well here for a minimal sum if you are prepared to accept the Turkish Lifestyle....and no I dont mean scavenging the rubbish bins! :)

Offline janmack

Mass Exodous
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 06:34:21 AM »
Well said Brian.  We would rather tighten our belts than contemplate going back to the UK.  The positives still outweigh the negatives in our opinion.  Mind you, can't go back anyway as we wouldn't want our pets to go into quarantine!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf