Author Topic: Skype facilities  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Old Daffodil

Skype facilities
« on: April 13, 2011, 10:31:49 AM »
I am the treasurer for a local group who are involved in community projects in England.
We have recently been able to raise money to enable over 50s and the unemployed to have a one to one course for one day on the local library computer facilities available.This will be available one day a week for ten weeks and is free.
We are now looking into making Skype available from local library computers.I have only used Skype on my own laptop. We are not experts and wonder if this is something that is feasible. I think that it could be difficult because of security but am not familiar with how these things work. Any advice?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 10:33:17 AM by Daffodil »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Skype facilities
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 10:41:56 AM »
What security issue is it that worries you? I suppose someone using the facility could see who the person before had phoned, but really only a technological advance from someone pressing the last number redial button on a conventional phone. Most internet cafes and many cafes for example offer the service - I can't particularly think of any great security issues with the idea specifically.

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Skype facilities
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 10:42:54 AM »
It is very feasible. Your only real hurdle will be:

1. That the computers allow you to install the software in the first instance (you may need to log on as the administrator to do this)
2. That they already have a webcam (and a mic) or will allow you to purchase and install one (again you may need an admin log on to do this)
3. That the librarys internet connection is fast enough to handle voice and video chat (this will depend on how many computers share the same connection but ideally you want something that is at least 5mb speed)

Thats pretty much it. Some other non technical considerations though:

1. Each user will need to have their own Skype Username and Password. This in itself is not a problem and they can do this when they each first use skype. They ideally need an email account though for forgotten passwords etc
2. You might want to consider investing in a headphone/mic for each computer so that peoples conversations are not tannoyed across the whole library
3. As its a library, will people talking on skype (sometimes loudly) cause you a problem.

Get in touch if you want to know more. Personally I would also be interested in what is planned as I have been considering for some time providing community support in this area (I work with computers and websites) in my spare time

Steve

Offline Old Daffodil

Skype facilities
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 10:44:14 AM »
How would it be possible to work out what to charge for the call?

Thanks for replies, we are having a meeting today to discuss this further.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 10:46:52 AM by Daffodil »

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Skype facilities
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 10:49:26 AM »
Skype calls are free (to other skype users)

If they use skype to call normal telephones then this (very low amount) is charged to their individual user account on skype. Therefore any costs are personal to them.

It is not really practical to run a single skype username/account that everyone can use as it would show each persons personal contacts

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Skype facilities
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 10:53:52 AM »
Well it is also possible to have one user account (yours) and only allow skype to skype calls (free) - this is easy to do, if you don't buy any credit, paid for calls can't be made anyway. If you really want a facility that allows people to phone 'real' numbers it isn't going to be easy as Steve says on your account. You can't charge by the minute as some destinations are 20x dearer than others per minute.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Skype facilities
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 11:06:40 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by redding43

I have been considering for some time providing community support in this area (I work with computers and websites) in my spare time

Steve

I wasn't aware you had spare time Steve :D

Offline scorcher

Skype facilities
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 11:12:47 AM »
Contact those " nice people from Skype " as they like to be known. Am sure they would be very interested and

helpful - I've always found them so .

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Skype facilities
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 11:26:30 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

quote:
Originally posted by redding43

I have been considering for some time providing community support in this area (I work with computers and websites) in my spare time

Steve

I wasn't aware you had spare time Steve :D

For volunteer charity work only Keith........ :D

Offline Old Daffodil

Skype facilities
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 19:51:31 PM »
Had a meeting this afternoon. It is awful the cull of libraries in the area. We discussed making some of the library into an Internet Cafe to enable people to make Skype calls or do other things on the computers that are already in there.This is being taken to a higher level for discussion. A lot of retired residents of the town have family living abroad and would like to call them but are not familiar with using a computer.  
When we have been visiting Britan from abroad the library or internet cafe's have been invaluable to us to enable booking of travel tickets,hotels,sailing etc.
Thanks for the advice on this subject.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 19:57:16 PM by Daffodil »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf