Author Topic: Wiping clean & fragmenting (I think)?????  (Read 1487 times)

Offline posleeds

Wiping clean & fragmenting (I think)?????
« on: May 30, 2011, 15:15:48 PM »
Just bought a second hand computer today that needs everything wiping from it & fragmenting (is that the right word)????
Please can some kind soul give me a clue where to start....I am computer literate but have never had to do this before.
Is it something I can do myself easliy?
Any help would be appreciated...
Thanks in anticipation  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 15:30:53 PM »
It's nearly the right word - but exactly the opposite  ;) - defragmenting.

You can see the hard drive in My Computer - right click on it and choose 'format drive' or 'format'. This will take a little while. Be sure you have all you need though - a formatted drive is empty - doesn't have Windows on it or anything - so you'll need to have it to hand on a cd to install, otherwise your computer will be no use. By the way, a formatted drive doesn't need to be defragmented.

Offline posleeds

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 17:55:09 PM »
I can tell this is going to get complicated...
I have Windows 7 which I downloaded via the internet to install - just needed a key code which I had paid for to activate it - assuming I can still use that code again?
If I format it would I still be able to install Windows 7 without a disk?
Are there any other options i.e through Task Manager - just delete what I don't want?
Also...how do you change the language? (I've bought it for a little Turkish girl to use).
Maybe I'm not computer literate after all  :-\ - I know how to switch it on & do what I want to do but anything technical & I get lost!

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 18:08:47 PM »
I would suggest you get someone to do this if you really want/need to completely wipe the hard drive clean, it's not an exact science & certainly not for anyone who isn't completely up to speed with installing Windows etc. As for its suitability for W7 that depends on what it's got now, how old it is, what the memory is & many other questions which will probably just confuse you even more!

I have heard of a guy called Rick in the past with some very good results & I believe very keenly priced as it's more of a hobby than a job, he would be my 1st point of call, especially as you are kind enough to be offering this as a gift for someone to learn on.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 18:16:09 PM »
Windows 7 can install from a USB drive - one of the USB flash/pen drives or a USB external hard drive too I think. If you intend to make it ready for a new owner, I'd be inclined to forget it and just empty your My Documents/My Pictures/Downloads and internet history. Just delete all the files in each one - and don't forget to empty the recycle bin once you've done all that. Supercabby is probably right - these things can go disastrously wrong - I avoid reformatting if I can.

Also remember to back up any files or photos that are important to you before emptying your document folders.

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 19:31:29 PM »
There shouldn't be anything that Sally needs to keep, she said she's just bought it second hand to donate to a little girl, I'm sure someone with the correct knowledge would make it ready to handover without too much trouble, hopefuly as Keith says without the hassle of formatting & reinstalling Windows which never goes right, no matter how many times I've tried!

Offline posleeds

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 09:16:22 AM »
Thanks for all your help.
Managed to get it set up & working - with a new username.  Still need to clear the old stuff off but didn't have time yesterday.
Still can't change the language to Turkish - even though it looked like I'd done it, it reverted back to English!
I'll be contacting Rick I think  :-\

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf