Author Topic: Phone call scam  (Read 1528 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Phone call scam
« on: June 16, 2011, 09:46:41 AM »
Just had a guy on the phone who sounded African. He asked for my son by name and when I told him he was away on holiday he asked for any other family member. I told him I was his father and he then went on to read a script to say my computer has been infected with some sort of virus and he could sort it out for me.

Needless to say I told him to go and try to scam someone else then left him on hold for 5 minutes ( it would have been longer but I am expecting a call to pick my car up for repairs).

Watch out - it came up as an 'out of area' call.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Phone call scam
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 13:14:08 PM »
Had the samething a week ago but irt was an Indian accent. Told me he was from Microsoft. When we had the phone installed we must have been given a reallocated number and it was the name of the previous holder of the number that he called me by.

They will tell you that they are from Microsoft and they can prove if you sign onto your computer. Dont do it as it is like opening the front door and letting them in.

Offline Eric

Phone call scam
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 15:36:10 PM »
Just tell them you are starting up your PC (but don't!) and leave them on hold for half an hour.  They have to pay for the call!

Offline Old Daffodil

Phone call scam
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 20:23:52 PM »
How would you know if your computer had been infected by a virus?What would you have to do about it? My son showed me how to defragment and scan but I know very little about computers,just emails and surfing the web and office stuff such as word processing.I answered some of those calls about clearing the computer virus and once the accent was African and on other occasions Indian.I also had a great big sign come up on the computer once.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 20:29:48 PM by Daffodil »

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Phone call scam
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 21:39:29 PM »
God they call us all the time, a few weeks ago they called Nick (works in IT) the conversation went on and on and on with talk about which pack was infected blah blah blah, the guy didn't know what to say, clearly, next thing Nick errupted into a string of expletives and hung up. "that was a bit over the top" I said " he just called me a Mother f***er how do you expect me to react" - chuckle chuckle!

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Phone call scam
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 09:11:50 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Eric

Just tell them you are starting up your PC (but don't!) and leave them on hold for half an hour.  They have to pay for the call!

Unfortunately Eric in a lot of cases this is not true as these scams are operated by criminal gangs, and one of the things they also do is to hack or even physically tap into some poor buggers phone lines and then run their (considerable) international telephone traffic through it, and leave the line owner with a great big bill, often running into thousands of pounds, and it is always put onto the end user customer.  So keeping them on hold costs them little or nothing for the call[:(!]

The Calls Carriers take no responbibility for this crime at all, and their absence of any effective prevention controls, or indeed auto detection that it is taking place is shameful.  They and your service calls service provider dodge out of it in their T&C's:-\

I am afraid it happens a lot in the UK, and other western countries.   The eastern european mafias are apparently the best at it, and they sell a lot of these 'opened'  lines onto the 'grey' market of the pre-paid telephone cards, which very interestingly is apperently controlled in the UK by the Turkish Mafia!!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Phone call scam
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 10:47:54 AM »
Though I got another one today! This time a message left on BT from fedex stating that we would get a delivery today with a reference number of 52billion,4066million,129thousand and whatever.

It's just arrived! A book I ordered yesterday.

Oops  :)

Offline jackstee

Phone call scam
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 20:20:29 PM »
Most of them use skype and it costs them next to nothing. 1 sting in one hundred calls pays foe everything.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf