Author Topic: Owners Association  (Read 2356 times)

Offline sallyshort

Owners Association
« on: June 20, 2011, 11:43:49 AM »
I have been sent details of a proposed association on the complex where I have recently bought.It states it has to be set up within a year of the last apartment being sold.After looking at the amount of rules etc that seem to be dictating how I live my life and even who I can sell to I am not happy.....I am well aware how to co exist with people and dont need a committee to tell me ....Is this set up common out here ? am I being unreasonable

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Owners Association
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 13:12:56 PM »
All the well run complexes have an owners association.  
It is, in my opinion, vital to the smooth running of the complex and, if followed by everyone it really does make a huge difference.  It takes a lot of hard work in the first year or two but once you've all the ground rules in place it really does flow smoothly.
Has your committee been chosen?  Did the owners have a meeting to set this up?  If this is not the case then I suggest you need an owners meeting asap to get the ball rolling.
If I'm honest, I do think your being unreasonable in that your jumping in with both feet stating that you don't need anyone to tell you how to live etc and it seems your not happy with the rules laid down so far in the email.  It all comes down to a vote in the end and the majority rules.  You need to accept this.
Of course there will be things you don't agree with but but ALL OWNERS need to come to an agreement on what is acceptable on your complex and what is the best way forward.  As I've said once you have the grounding it does become easier.
It only takes one person to upset the apple cart.  If you want the best for your wee bit of Turkey then don't let it be you.
Enjoy the journey, yes it's tedious at times but the rewards far out weigh the negatives.:D

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
Owners Association
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 13:38:51 PM »
My 2p worth! Put the boot on the other foot for a moment, your neighbours all decide to sell their apartments to a group of people who YOU find unsociable for some reason & can do nothing about it. A neighbour has a noisy animal/child etc & you can do nothing about it. Security in numbers when in this type of complex seeems to be far more favourable to me than individuality, dare I say if you didn't want to be a part of a "community" then maybe an apartment in a complex with others wasn't the right purchase for you & a nice detached villa in its own grounds would have been better suited.

Look at the positives of the group as opposed to the negatives, I hope these outweigh in your favour.

PS: I live in a middle floor flat here in the UK & can't wait to get out, got noisy neighbours above & beside me, 1 has a dog & a baby under 3, the other walks around all night on uncarpeted floors right above my bedroom as he has a mental condition. I really wish I could have some clout in getting them to see that their actions effect others around them but no matter how polite I ask I just get told to FO & have the door slammed in my face, know what I'd prefer!

Offline col

Owners Association
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 14:36:54 PM »

A well run committee can of course be a good thing,but something they or no-body else can dictate to you is who you sell it to if that time comes. Of course go along with the smooth running of the complex, pay all your fees etc, but I would certainly not be told who I can and cannot sell my own paid up apt to, and that is certainly not being unreasonable.
quote:
Originally posted by sallyshort

I have been sent details of a proposed association on the complex where I have recently bought.It states it has to be set up within a year of the last apartment being sold.After looking at the amount of rules etc that seem to be dictating how I live my life and even who I can sell to I am not happy.....I am well aware how to co exist with people and dont need a committee to tell me ....Is this set up common out here ? am I being unreasonable

Offline Chinook

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 16:29:57 PM »
If your complex complies with the requirements of the Condominium Law you are required by law to set up a management committee in accordance with the rules set out in the law. Search "Condominium Law " on CBF and you will find copies of the law in English and loads of advice about/interpretation of meaning of various sections.None of the clauses say who and who not to sell to.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 16:32:59 PM by Chinook »

Offline dycedon

Owners Association
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 17:23:42 PM »
That is why we bought on a complex of 4 and a turkish neighbour, couldnt be bothered with all the jobsworth committes and all that goes with it, there are always a few who like the power and are lurking and hiding around to enforce THERE OWN RULES.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Owners Association
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 18:40:28 PM »
How can you justify your statement Jim when your not on a complex with a committee?
Never once in six years have we had any power struggles, quite the opposite in fact.

Offline Chinook

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 18:49:42 PM »
quote:
there are always a few who like the power and are lurking and hiding around to enforce THERE OWN RULES.

I believe the Condominium Law kicks in when then are more than 12 units and far from enabling a few to enforce their own rules require agreement of a large percentage of the owners to agree to the rules. We are self managed with a majority of Turkish owners and have had no significant problems.On the other hand a friend on a small complex turned up to find the pool had been emptied mid summer following a quick meeting between a majority of owners and in the absence of a complex agreement had nowhere to go.In reality there is the potential for abuse whatever situation you are in and particularly whenthe majority are absentee owners.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Owners Association
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 18:54:42 PM »
Nobody needs "jobsworth committees" until the neighbours from hell move in.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Owners Association
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 19:30:39 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Anne

How can you justify your statement Jim when your not on a complex with a committee?
Never once in six years have we had any power struggles, quite the opposite in fact.

Pretty much same here Anne after a few initial teething problems, mainly caused by the builder. Frankly, more often than not there are the majority who will gladly stand back & let others do all the running around & yes I do speak from the perspective of being on t'committee

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf