Author Topic: The Post Office/Turkey/Travel insurance.  (Read 3433 times)

Offline Carpete

The Post Office/Turkey/Travel insurance.
« on: August 09, 2011, 18:08:08 PM »
The Post Office have decided that from July Turkey is no longer considered Europe for travel insurance purposes and the  cost for a week last year of £21 for my 65 year old  friend is now £112 for 1 week!:( Did I miss something????[?]
Carol

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 18:22:37 PM »
Use someone other than the PO, simple!

Offline Carpete

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 18:30:30 PM »
Yes of course she did just that. You don't reach 65 without exercising the brain cells! The question is WHY should the Post Office make that distinction after all this time!
Carol

Offline marina

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 19:45:55 PM »
Trouble is, now one's done it others will follow suit if they spot a way of making easy money. :-\

Offline kizkucuk

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 11:15:39 AM »
Lots of companies class Turkey as worldwide.  Technically only a little bit at the top in in Europe - the rest of it isn't.  The answer is to shop around - when most on line sites have a little i button next to the definitions and they will tell you what countries they cover under each zone/area.  I always found American Express very reasonable.

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 12:16:40 PM »
Sorry Carol, just re read my original answer & it doesn't contain the humour I intended, I wasn't being sarcastic, honest I wasn't!

I use Direct Travel Insurance http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/ have always had excellent service from them & Turkey is classed as Europe, (Europe: All of Europe, including all the countries to the west of the Ural Mountains, the Mediterranean Islands, the Canary Islands, Turkey, Madeira, the Azores and Iceland) well it is today!

Offline Carpete

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 19:21:24 PM »
Perhaps I haven't made my question clear! I will try again. My pal and  I have no problems finding competative insurance. We have been travelling for over 40 years now. My question is WHY has the Post Office changed the status of Turkey? The date of the change I am told was 17th June (or it might have been July). Anyway, it was a specific date. The elections  were also held this summer. I want to know WHY the status has changed and thank you, but I really don't need advice on the geography of Turkey or  buying travel insurance. Honest! Just curious why this change of status has happened after many years. And the guy concerned at the PO didn't know either! Seems no one out there in the clouds does either!
Carol

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 19:43:57 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Carpete

Perhaps I haven't made my question clear! I will try again. My pal and  I have no problems finding competative insurance. We have been travelling for over 40 years now. My question is WHY has the Post Office changed the status of Turkey? The date of the change I am told was 17th June (or it might have been July). Anyway, it was a specific date. The elections  were also held this summer. I want to know WHY the status has changed and thank you, but I really don't need advice on the geography of Turkey or  buying travel insurance. Honest! Just curious why this change of status has happened after many years. And the guy concerned at the PO didn't know either! Seems no one out there in the clouds does either!
Carol

Don't think I will attempt to answer .....   as I don't really like the way you have asked the question.

Offline hillside

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 10:35:41 AM »
Goodness how rude Carol - someone got out the wrong side of bed!

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 11:16:02 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Carpete

Just curious why this change of status has happened after many years. And the guy concerned at the PO didn't know either! Seems no one out there in the clouds does either!
Carol

Perhaps it's because the decision is nothing to do with them as they are not the insurers. Ageas are the insurers and I would guess this is a much wider application than just the post office

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf