Author Topic: Power of Attorney  (Read 7800 times)

Offline Colin White

Power of Attorney
« on: January 17, 2012, 13:56:47 PM »
Hi all.
I was wondering; with all the negative comments about Turkish wills not being worth the paper they are written on, would a POA be the answer? That way, if someone was to die (hopefully not)or be too ill to travel to Turkey to sign the paperwork for a sale, the other person would be able to complete the sale, without the need for death certificates etc. We are planning to do this Easter, unless there are any problems with this.
Colin

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Power of Attorney
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 14:20:55 PM »
I dont understand, what has the will got to do with power of attorney for a sale?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Power of Attorney
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 14:26:36 PM »
I understand - it's something I've mentioned before. Basically giving someone power of attorney to sell on your behalf so they can sign all the contract and paperwork "as you" - normally because you are back in the UK but in this suggested case you are away on a cloud. I had this idea and basically with wills being problematic, and sometimes long and drawn out, the idea to appoint a power of attorney to clear up your business in the event of your death is probably highly illegal, but attractive all the same.

It goes without saying (though not to some I am sure) that you better had trust your PoA 10000%. The idea I had was for husband and wife to give each other PoA then it doesn't matter who dies first, you have it covered. Lovely topic this!

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Power of Attorney
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 14:35:12 PM »
that was the other bit I didnt understand, who would you trust that much?

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Power of Attorney
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 14:53:43 PM »
This is the very same thing that I have been telling people to do for years, I asked the Turkish lawyer this question and yes it is not legal,she did say clever though.  It would work as long as it was quck and you did not wish to holiday in Turkey again.  After the Turkish Will waste of money this is is the only angle to come up with,  

4years and our friends Turkish Will still not resolved, (please don't start me again)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 15:12:14 PM by loz »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Power of Attorney
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 14:54:29 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerman

that was the other bit I didnt understand, who would you trust that much?

The same person they would trust to sell it if they were alive?

Offline Colin White

Power of Attorney
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 09:11:09 AM »
What I can't understand is why this is illegal. After all, people give POA to builders and agents when they buy off plan, so that business can be conducted when they are not in Turkey. What is the difference between that and giving POA to your husband/wife/partner, so they can sell your property if you are too ill to travel? Obviously, there is the trust issue, as has been pointed out, but if the trust is there, then that should be OK.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Power of Attorney
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 09:25:16 AM »
You asked about a partner dying or being too ill to travel. Should they be too ill to travel I am sure it is not illegal - in fact it is a primary reason for a PoA even in the UK. What would be illegal is using the PoA for someone who is six feet under. OK, they too can't travel or sign but procedures for the estate and assets of those who have passed away are quite different to someone who is too ill to travel - same as the UK.

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Power of Attorney
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 10:07:53 AM »
clearly a naughty question, but who would know if someone had passed away in the UK......?   presumably no-one in turkey unless they had been told....? (shhh, I didn't ask this question)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Power of Attorney
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 10:19:40 AM »
That dear Pooks is the reason some of us thought of it as a viable alternative to a Turkish will  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf