Author Topic: Additional Runways  (Read 1407 times)

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
Additional Runways
« on: June 28, 2012, 15:46:24 PM »
I was at Wimbledon yesterday and sat for hours watching the tennis. Whilst watching I couldn't help but notice the continual flow of planes taking off from Heathrow in gaps of about 40 seconds. I have always been aware of the level of flight activity from Heathrow but couldn't think of a time where I was able to see this constant flow for such a long period of time.

With this in mind and on the assumption that this is what happens on a normal day why are we not adding either additional runways or new airports because at this rate I cannot see how we can compete with the rest of Europe?

And I am assuming that as this is a forum for those interested in a destination which is not easily reached by other means than by plane there will not be to many carbon footprint people around  ;)  ;)

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Re: Additional Runways
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 20:31:01 PM »
It's been like that for years now, I used to work on the Embankment & didn't really notice them after a while, until, in the wake of 9/11, planes couldn't fly over central London & then it felt eerily quiet

Offline jackstee

Re: Additional Runways
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 20:58:22 PM »
Heathrow hs been allowed to use runways for both take offs and landings for the first time. They are checking to see if the increase traffic they can now have will alleviate the need for another runway.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf