Author Topic: Pay as You Go SIM for calls and data  (Read 7012 times)

Offline pixiecat

Pay as You Go SIM for calls and data
« on: July 08, 2012, 20:13:13 PM »
Hi
I have an old Vodafone phone that I was thinking of bringing with me on holiday and wondered whether it was possible to get pay as you go Vodafone SIM cards in Calis or Fethiye.  The other thing I was hoping to get is a Pay as You Go data card to use an i-pad in Turkey.  Can anyone help with places and prices please?

Thanks

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Re: Pay as You Go SIM for calls and data
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 20:55:26 PM »
Pixie, there are loads of places to buy your sims from, from supermarkets to phone shops. You will need to register your phone otherwise it gets locked.
I registered one in a Turkcell shop about 5 years ago and it still got locked. I'm not sure of the procedure now but someone will reply with the answer soon.

Offline Eric

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 21:45:04 PM »
1st you have to go to the tax office and pay 100TL tax on it.  Then you go to a Turkcell or Vodaphone shop with your tax reciept and your passport showing your entry stamp in it.  They then register it and you buy a sim card for it.....simples   ;)  Good luck! 

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 22:16:03 PM »
100TL!!!! this used to be 5TL in a Turkcel shop.  I have just read this on the consulate website and there is no mention of 100TL.  I have a Turkish phone but a new UK phone that I was planning on registering.

http://www.turkishconsulate.org.uk/en/other_services.asp?PageID=12

Offline tonysue

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 23:03:10 PM »
Your phone needs to be unlocked. The turkcell shop will register the phone to your passport and you buy a new sim card and some credit, it costs 5 lira.  the data I cant help with sorry.

Offline Eric

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 15:30:52 PM »
It is not 5TL, it is 100TL and you have to pay it at the tax office.  We just registered a new phone on Friday.  The tax amount changed a few weeks ago.

Offline lizdev

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 18:13:16 PM »
I registered my IPad in May with Turkcell and it cost 10 lira.  The cost of the sim card was 19 lira and I chose to go with 1 gb data for a month which was 29 lira.

Offline Eric

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 18:47:16 PM »
I did it on FRIDAY, it was 100TL paid at the Tax Office.  Did not make it up, was told by Turkcell that was NOW the regulations.  Went to the tax office....yes that is correct.  They took a record of the IMEI number and we paid the 100TL!  Took receipt back to Turkcell shop and then carried on with registering it!  May was a few weeks back, this is now July and this is the current position.

Offline lizdev

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 21:41:11 PM »
Thank goodness I did it in May, seems like it saved me 90 lira !

Offline tonysue

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 12:10:19 PM »
I am absolutely shocked :o. It seems that the Turkish government it trying all ends up to screw every last kurus out of the tourist. A 100 lira tax is far too much. The saying goose and golden egg comes to mind. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf