Author Topic: Travel Insurance for people disgnosed with cancer  (Read 2363 times)

Offline SteveJ

Travel Insurance for people disgnosed with cancer
« on: August 04, 2012, 13:26:38 PM »
Can anyone recommend an Insurance company who would be willing to provide travel insurance for someone who has recently been diagnosed with secondary liver cancer? My partner wants to come out on the 12 August for 12 days to attend for her daughters wedding on 16th August but the best quote so far for the single trip is £1,700! Here's hoping.

Offline ColinT

• Portsmouth, UK
Re: Travel Insurance for people disgnosed with cancer
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 16:17:08 PM »
6 years ago my partner Alison has had bowel cancer, followed a couple of years later by breast cancer.  She has had operations for both, radiotherapy, chemotherapy, and anything else they could throw at her!  She is in good health now, but has all sorts of scans, etc to check of any re-occurrence.

During her treatment, and since then, we have enjoyed many holidays abroad in Calis Beach and many other countries.  With our insurance, we declare what she has had, which means that any condition requiring treatment directly relating to the cancer would not be covered whilst we are on holiday.  It may sound extreme, but with cancer being a “slow burner” type of disease, it isn’t something that generally strikes you down instantly, like heart attacks, strokes, etc.  We obviously didn’t travel whilst she was having some aspects of the treatment, i.e. chemotherapy, as that could have caused all sorts of other problems.

I do not know the condition of your partner, and our approach would not be for everyone.  However, it is certainly something worth considering, and you partner can enjoy her trip whilst paying a “normal” tariff for her insurance.  Most insurance companies will cover you, but it will probably need to be done by phone rather than online as its slightly different than normal.  Our insurance is the travel insurance that comes with our Lloyds joint bank account, and they were certainly happy to do this at no extra cost.

Good luck whatever you decide to do, and I hope your partner has successful treatment, and subsequent recovery.

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 17:41:42 PM »
After many hours trawling around the specailist insurance companies we've finally got sorted out. Many companies declined outright (after wasting 30 minutes going through the medical screening process), others wanted over £2,000. The cheapest we could find was £1,200 and we were going to go with that until Jeanie stumbled across InsuranceWith who have provided a single trip 12 day policy covering all pre-declared medical conditions for £345. Phew - the wedding is back on!

£2,000 down to £345 - go figure.

If you are in a similar position give them a try.

Offline hillside

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 19:13:49 PM »
So pleased for you Steve. Hope all goes well with the Wedding and the treatment. Val

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf