Author Topic: Cut grass & garden weeds  (Read 2444 times)

Offline C-E

Cut grass & garden weeds
« on: April 02, 2013, 08:03:49 AM »
As the weather is warming up and everyone is starting to weed their gardens and cut grass.

If you want to get rid of the fresh cut grass and garden weeds you can bring then down to our horses.

They will love you for them.

Please make sure that they are brought down that day (if they are left too long they start to decay and ferment. This is bad for horses).

If you are not sure where we are you can phone us on

0536 866 5286 ..... Christine
0539 268 1741 ..... Eric
 6655094  ..... Home

We are easy to find.  Take the road that goes to Uzumlu Park.  As the road take a sharpe left, there is a right turn, we are down there.  You will see a silver horse trailer.

Christine & Eric Thompson.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Cut grass & garden weeds
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 08:38:44 AM »
I am surprised to read this, perhaps Turkish horses are different to British ones.  We keep my Daughter in Law's horse on our land.  We also have a large lawn.  My D.I.L. will not allow her horse to eat any cut grass as she says a large amount of fresh cut grass can give a horse collic.  Also some weeds are poisonous to horses.  I do know this fact, as recently a horse in our area was taken into care by a local Horse Welfare Association, it had to be put down through eating a certain weed that damaged it's liver.  I will check with D.I.L. to find out what it was.    I know very little about horses (I am learning all the time) but my D.I.L. lives and breathes them and I am under strict instructions on what to feed Hugo.
I would also think it better to ask people to message you privately rather than put all your personal numbers on a pubic forum.  ;)

Offline C-E

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 10:19:34 AM »
Hi Jacqui,  thanks for the comment.

We are not asking for vast or large amounts of fresh grass.

As we have 7 horses ( 2 large hunter types 16.3hh, 1 at 15.3hh Turkish Arab, 1 at 15.hh Halflinger X, 1 at 14.2hh Turish x, and 2 at 13.hh) I dont think we will be swomped with grass.

If the grass is cut then comes here that day (with 5hrs) there will be no problem.

As for the weeds.  UK has Wagwort this is poisonous, Turkey does Not.  We rented land here for a few yrs (3yrs) and the weeds (ALL) were eaten by the 4 horses. NO DEATH or Colic. Except for a Turkish man poisoning one of my horses with rat poison.

As we have taken on more horses we are asking for cut grass.

In the UK I would not ask for this help.

As for asking people to pm me. Well, it would be good idea, but as grass goes off so quick and will go sour and will cause colic if fed when its gone off.  This is why I have put my contact numbers.

I am 46yrs old been working with horses most of my life both in the UK and overseas. I think I know what I am doing.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 10:36:09 AM »
O.K. C.E.  As I said know nothing about horses, but am given daily lessons by my D.I.L. who is so passionate it's unbelievable.   Thanks for the information about the weeds will pass it on.  Yes it was ragwort that poisoned the local horse, glad it's not in Turkey.  So, good luck with your search for grass. 
We have  hay stored here which the local farmer supplies, but I suppose it's not easy to get in Turkey.  However, Hugo is never short of carrots and apples..  However, we always throw away our grass cuttings as Gemma will not allow Hugo to have even a small amount of our grass... seems like a waste to us.
There are lots of local gardeners in your area, it might be an idea to find a couple and do some deals with them.
I will keep it quiet about your horses or Gemma would want to be straight out on her next visit to see them..  She is already planning a visit to Yaniklar  8) ;D
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:00:58 AM by Jacqui Harvey »

Offline C-E

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 11:09:27 AM »
Thanks,

We feed Yonca hay (this is Alfalfa grass, again very controvercial as its very high in protien)  This hay is 18tl per bale. but our horses look fantastic on what we feed. (oats,barley,maize,wheat,bran,chaff,besi and kuspie  & eggs) as well as greens and all fruit that is in season.  All are fed according to work, unless  they are underweight.

Grass that is fresh is also fed but monitored.

Gemma is welcome to come over and see us.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf