Author Topic: Can we drink water from a tub in Turkey?  (Read 15641 times)

Offline keng38

• Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow
Re: Can we drink water from a tub in Turkey?
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 09:20:50 AM »
We have a brita water filter on hand for if the bottled runs out.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 16:51:22 PM »
Well I'm grateful at least for Kamelia asking this question  :D

Although from the answers, I'm not still sure.

I have never (knowingly) drunk tap water in Turkey, always buying bottled water. However, I am trying very hard to move away from contributing to the plastic bottle mountain.

So some of you use the tap water, some use filters, some still buy bottled. As someone who is likely to be living out there for the majority of the year, I would be grateful for more responses if possible please. (Although I have to say Loz and GordonA seem to be in rude health, so I'm inclined to use the tap).

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 17:02:30 PM »
Hi Kamelia. Although tap water in Turkey is free of bacteria it is full of minerals which can upset people. Most people use bottle water for drinking.

Hillside is spot on - there is a growing industry in the region of companies providing fixed water filters due to the amount of minerals in the water - hence the reason that Fethiye & Calis have more dialysis centres than you would think.

I met a chap who was in this business (didn't buy anything from him) but he told me his business had doubled year on year for 3 years due to demand from locals.

We use the 19 ltr bottles but there was a government report about 6 months ago stating that 3 or 4 biggish companies had been fined for filling these from the tap - a la Peckham Spring :-)

Offline Marggie

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 17:28:49 PM »
When we first came to Fethiye in 2008, we used tap water but after a couple of months the water started to taste very strongly of chlorine, in fact you could smell it when filling the kettle.  Since then we have used the 19 litre bottles of water  As Ian says there is a plethora of Dialysis Units in and around Calis and we see bottled water being delivered to all the locals around us.  I think that tells a story.   :)

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 17:47:26 PM »
Gar2 lokanta (opposite the Fethiye otogar) fill their water jugs from a wall tap on the outside of the building.
We've always drunk it and never had a problem   :)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 17:57:31 PM »
The tap water in Bristol often smells of chlorine (it comes from the Sharpness Canal). We put it into a jug to stand overnight in the fridge and then it is fine for drinking - actually tastes nice. Last week a Water Board official called round to test the water and I asked him about this. He said it takes about 12 hours for all traces of chlorine to evaporate after coming out of the tap. Unfortunately his test discovered that our old lead pipes give us 3 times the new acceptable lead level. Well I'm not chopping down our front garden tree to dig a trench to the pavement and lay new pipes, so we'll just have to be poisoned and die. This will probably take thirty years.

Offline Marggie

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 18:02:18 PM »
Very interesting Colwyn, I'll try that when we are back in the UK.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 18:13:11 PM »
Wow! Scary stuff, all this talk of kidney dialysis!

19/16 litre bottles it is then. So can you guys recommend a reliable supplier that doesn't fill them from the tap?  ???

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 19:57:03 PM »
As bottled water is so cheap, why take a chance with your health?   Kidney disease does not show up until it's too late in most cases.   We never use tap water when we are over after reading in the local press that the Fethiye area has the highest incidence of Kidney Disease (particularly stones ) than anywhere else in Turkey due to the high mineral contents of the water.  This is why the local hospitals are so geared up for kidney problems.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 23:38:58 PM »
I drank the tap water freely here for 3 years with no ill effects, only stopped because in summer the water would leave the tap pretty warm and tasting bad.  So now we use a water dispenser.  The water here is softer than we lived with in Essex and London.  One thing intrigues me.  I cant find info on water and its effects on kidney disease.  What I mean is, the direct connection between mineralised water and the need for dialysis.   I would be very interested to see any information, or is this an urban myth?  This IS a genuine question.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf