Author Topic: Taking food in your cases ?  (Read 13965 times)

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
Taking food in your cases ?
« on: August 07, 2013, 17:30:09 PM »
We are thinking of taking some bacon, sausages etc. in our hold luggage when we are next over. Are there any restrictions on food you can take. Cheers Folks. :-\

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Taking food in your cases ?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 17:46:33 PM »
It's against the law in Turkey to bring in bacon and sausages.  There is no need there are Pork Shops in Calis and Fethiye that sell Danish Bacon and Sausages.  There is also an English guy in Calis who makes sausages and will deliver.  ;)
I have read recently of cases being opened at Dalaman.  If you are found with any banned food, you could be in trouble. :( 
Anyway my train of thought is.  Why take food when you can get it in Turkey and one packet of bacon and a lb of sausages equals two pairs of shoes. :D  ;)

Offline milliemars

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 17:58:56 PM »
I used to bring it in,but find now that the pork shops Sausages are fine and the bacon is thicker than UK and not so much water inside.Yes it is a bit dearer,but think it,s well worth the extra.Totally agree much better things to use luggage allowance on lol   :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 18:08:19 PM »
We used to put a suitcase in another suitcase when we travelled to the UK on holiday - then come back with a suitcase now full of bacon, sausages and cheese etc  :)

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 18:13:38 PM »
The sausages from the pork shop are poor quality but the bacon is good, I usuaslly freeze a couple of packs of good quality sausage and use these for ice packs, then cook therm when I get home and freeze them. I use them to keep cheese bacon etc cool in my case.
Mark

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 18:41:26 PM »
 we always take over bacon,sausage,black pud,cheese,crackers.
and after paying a lot for lambs liver last time out, i will bring that next time

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 18:42:11 PM »
We always take mature cheddar cheese for us and our friends who live in Turkey, and lots of sachets of salad cream and mayonnaise and sauces. Other than that as already been said you can buy perfectly good bacon in Turkey, not sure about sausages, haven't eaten a decent one in any of the Turkish places!

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 18:45:49 PM »
I have looked at many official sites and can not find any where that states you can not bring in Bacon or sausages. we have over the years purchased at Cash and Carry Bacon for charity and friends businesses, it is in the hold luggage, get on the plane and Gatwick and no one care at the Turkish airport, no monetary gain for them obviously.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 19:33:34 PM »
It is illegal to take any dairy or meat products into Turkey and I have read recently  on T.A. of people having suitcases opened at customs, which I have never heard of before, however, I am sure it's not just tourist who read these Forums on which lots of people are saying they bring in meat and cheese.
This website seems to make it clear what is illegal to bring in.
http://turkey.visahq.com/customs/

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 19:39:08 PM »
The import of meat and dairy products is banned by several countries including the UK and Turkey.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf