Author Topic: Close the "Gate".  (Read 954 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Close the "Gate".
« on: October 21, 2013, 16:53:24 PM »
It is over 40 years since Republican stooges broke into the Watergate Hotel in order to raid Democrat files. It is 40 years since it became obvious that the guy ultimately responsible for directing the crime was President Richard Nixon - so much so that he had to call a press conference to say "I'm not a crook!". But he was; and the next year he was forced to resign as President to avoid being thrown out on his lying arse.

But that was 40 years ago. Is it possible that our idiotic, lazy and corrupt press could now stop labelling anything with the slightest hint of political scandal about it as "Something Gate"? The latest episode is "Pleb Gate". Even it was true, which it now appears it wasn't, the accusation was that some high-up Tory said something rude and snobby to some policemen. Is this anything like sending in a gang of crooks to burgle (burglarize in the US) a suite of hotel rooms to steal confidential documents from your political opponents at the behest of the head of state? No it isn't and, anyway, that was 40 years ago. Some people who may be reading this weren't even born or are too young to remember it. Give over, cease-and-desist, let it drop, put a sock in it, stop carrying on-and-on trotting out this same bloody cliché. Grrrr.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 17:11:28 PM by Colwyn »

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Re: Close the "Gate".
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 18:07:04 PM »
Colwyn calm down, calm down.  Wrap a nice cool towel round the old bonce, because you have failed to see the double play being made here by the gentlemen of her majesty's press.  You see members of the Old Bill wouldn't let the aforementioned Tory Gent (aka a Toff) out via the main gate, used by the chauferred limos and, if he could get away with it, a Toff on a Bike.  He had to get off and go through the pedestriam gate.  So as you can see not only is this a play on the forty year WaterGATE affair, but this story also - and primarily - relates to actual gates in the story, and is therefore a double blessed cliche.

Blimey I feel like Richard Ingrams on the old TV prog 'What the papers say'.

From our own Calis Correspondent

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Close the "Gate".
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 18:23:52 PM »
Ingenious UBT but if was really a double play it would have been Gate Gate. My incredulity in your story was confirmed by your reference to "gentlemen of HM's press". You'll be quoting "Right Honourable" at me next. I discover your sub-text of sarcasm!

[P.S. Liked your Bambi and Thumper mail.]

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf