Author Topic: I am bloody freezing..  (Read 16135 times)

Offline BernieTeyze

I am bloody freezing..
« on: March 05, 2014, 20:12:23 PM »
 :-[  :-\ >:(

Nothing on this earth could have prepared us for how cold it becomes once the sun goes down here in ovacik.
We have tried n failed with the soba thing, tried calor gas heater, ran out of gas quickly n didnt seem to spread the heat around this L shaped room.
We are now on air con for heating, but are dreading the bill. Going to Aydem to see why we didnt get one. We are the only people living in the block all year too. Admitedly since putting down rugs and having curtains fitted it has slightly improved. Our bed looks like its out of one of those 1960,s kichen sink movies. It has on an electrib blanket, flanalette bedset, alas not candy stripe. 2 quilts, 2 throws. I get into bed like Nora Batty, n slik has taken to wrapping his sleeping tshirt in the hot water bottle, running to the bathroom, n stripping off in record time n jumping into bed. Obviously tge electric blanket is off, so we spend the night trying to fit any cold bits of anatomy around the rapidly cooling bottle. Heaven help us if we need to wee in the night, you are nearly crying knowing you have to get out of the warm bed into the ensuite, n back trying to put your cold bits onto the other one.
I checked before we bought the place it was suitable for year round living...yes..what flippin eskimos..tut.

Right to my point, does anyone have any hints or tips how to stay warm please. The other things,has anyone heard of an electric central heating system, and what costs are incurred for buying,fitting n running.

Look forward to hearing your solutions to my problem.
Bernie

Offline Bluwise

Re: I am bloody freezing..
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 20:16:23 PM »
Oh Bernie that's awful.
What went wrong with the soba - did I read it was very smoky? 
I hate being cold so I really do sympathise - hope someone on here can suggest something for you.

Offline raygans

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 20:24:36 PM »
I love reading your posts,I don't like being cold and try all sorts of things to keep warm. The best thing I've ever bought is a onsie with feet in,a bit like a big baby gro n it's big enough to wear my jamas underneath all nice n toasty. It won't belong until its summer there and you will be nice n toasty every day and night

Offline Fran

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 20:29:03 PM »
I keep the electric blanket on low all night. Slippers next to bed so don't have to put feet on cold floor. You could also use the electric blanket on the sofa during the day. Must say that at this time of year it's warmer outside than in ( during the day anyway)

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 20:30:48 PM »
Me too bluwise. Yes it was sooo bad. Nice looking piece of kit, very modern. We had it moved twice, various pipes n outlets changed. Both inside n out. Various soba experts came to the conclusion that as we dont have a chimney, it needed longer piping n needed to be in the middle of this long narrow L shaped room we live in. Which would have been both dangerous to walk around and ridiculous to look at. I don,t exagerate when I say it took 12 hours to clean my house of the smoke n soot particles left from the failed attempts to get it working. I was also worried about carbon minoxide from it..

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 20:34:47 PM »
Any heating system is going to cost you an arm and a leg and you'll never make your money back.

Failing that, get a couple of oil-filled radiators. Put one of them in the bedroom and switch it on about an hour before you turn-in.

You could also think about putting some support cables up in the living-room and dividing it using the heavy blankets that are on sale all over town and in the markets. Use the second radiator in the section you're staying in.

We found during our 5 winters in Kaya that the best way to keep warm at night was to use the Turkish villager's method. Leave your day clothes on and put another layer on when you go to bed.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
I am bloody freezing..
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 20:36:55 PM »
Hahaha, made me laugh! We arrived in February 3 years ago, I told John not to bother bringing jumpers etc with him as had never spent much time here in winter before moving.
The houses are designed for summer and yep, it's freezing indoors.
We've put heavy curtains between each level of the house, have an electric plug in towel radiator that keeps the bathroom really toasty, electric halogen heater in the lounge which throws out loads of heat, but only the vicinity where you're sitting, but is very economical and electric blanket and pyjamas.
Currently I'm wearing a Bim vest ( they're fab), a jumper, a polar fleece top, thick tracky bottoms and my sofa blankie, not glamorous but don't need any heating on.
Have heard of fires from electric blankets, so be careful and only leave on if they're good quality ones that are meant to be left on when you're in bed.
The good thing is that it's only like this for about 10-12 weeks.
A few weeks time well all be moaning it's too hot.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 20:52:57 PM »
Thanks, I think your right about dividing the room up,into sections. We have loads of windows n doors in the lounge area  i do thinkmwe would benefit. We did buy an oil filled,radiator, but with the size of the room didnt do much good. But, if we sectioned off the room could perhaps benefit from it then, as with the bedroom. I am nickin menthols one too, as she couldnt get on with hers.

The two sets of clothes thing, I think i,ll give a miss too, although i confess to leaving my thermal vest on! Tommorow we are having an electric shower fitted, so we can at least have a shower without the expense of immersion or waiting on solar.

Offline suehugh

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 21:12:26 PM »
We stayed in a stone house in Uzumlu at Christmas. Glorious in summer, but flipping freezing in the winter.
We spent the evenings toasting ourselves by the Sobas or fires in the restaurants and bars clasping bowls of brandy. At least six each one night in Eddies as I recall. (Pretty good recall after six eh,). Then cold foot it back to the house. Electric blanket on, and as many clothes as possible on. Send Sue to bed first to warm it up further . A brandy each in bed and then  blessed oblivion.
We nipped down to Fethiye for the biggest electric fire we could find. Got it back up top and found the support mounts missing. Two days later we got a replacement, sue dropped it whilst we were getting it out of the box. Broken tube.
So back to the bars and the brandy and the electric blanket.   
Seriously. These electric fires are excellent. They are mounted on a stand at about 3 ft high and belt out glorious heat. They were priced from 129 to 99tl in Fethiye.
 Costly to run, but the winter is much shorter, so it's still  cheaper than the UK.
Sorry it's so cold for you right now, but it will get better.
Me and Sue

Offline savoyboy

• Chiswick, London, UK
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 21:18:45 PM »
We had underfloor heating put in new house,it was worth
Every penny.
It's run by electric combie boiler with water pipes
Under floor.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf