Author Topic: Tablet into Turkey  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Evie

Tablet into Turkey
« on: May 08, 2014, 09:59:36 AM »
I am thinking of buying a Tablet 3G  in Uk and fetching it over to Turkey - can anyone who has done this tell me the procedures please - do I have to register it as you do a mobile.  Will I need to have contract with Turkcell to get G or will my UK package be usable.

Offline rik

Re: Tablet into Turkey
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 01:01:45 AM »
I am thinking of buying a Tablet 3G  in Uk and fetching it over to Turkey - can anyone who has done this tell me the procedures please - do I have to register it as you do a mobile.  Will I need to have contract with Turkcell to get G or will my UK package be usable.
Hi Evie
I see many people have read your post. It's not that straightforward to answer. While I am no expert, I would question the benefits of using a 3G tablet here.
Firstly, unless you have a very good deal from a UK provider, I would think it ultra expensive, just for the benefit of non-wifi internet. Also, more than likely very expensive phone calls. That leaves having to use a Turkish provider, which in turn would mean, registering the tablet and having a Turkish number, etc. More expense. Following on, you may also have to register it in a Turkish friends name to get a package that uses 3G (not sure about that one)
Bottom line is, maybe best to just use a normal phone. Then buy a non-3G tablet here, which you will find is probably competitively priced. Don't forget, a tablet can be set for any language, and is totally universal, apart from the manual. Even that can be downloaded in English from the manufacturers site. All I would say, is get a good one. That doesn't necessarily mean Ipad, The Google Nexus, for instance is perfect. I think what I've explained is about right, but I stand to be corrected if anyone has better info.

Offline Sokak91

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 09:14:59 AM »
In support of what rik said, your tablet should automatically connect to Turkcell when you arrive BUT be VERY careful using any data roaming/3G device in Turkey. Very few (if any) networks include Turkey in their data packages and using a device even moderately will quickly accumulate massive charges. There are plenty of horror stories around this very issue.

Turn off 'data roaming' before you arrive. Most bars offer free wi-fi these days, much better to use that with your tablet.

Offline Marggie

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 10:04:28 AM »
You can purchase a tablet in the UK and bring to Turkey, I wouldn't bother with 3G as has been said you can use wireless in most places.  It won't be necessary to to register it here.  For use in your home, just go into a Turkcell shop and purchase a Vinn WiFi - they are very fast and will support up to five devices.  You buy the Vinn, a data Sim and put some GB on.

You can also use it when in the UK if you purchase a 3 Store Sim for use whilst you are there.

See another thread running on this subject:

http://www.calis-beach.co.uk/forum/telephones-broadband-and-mobiles/mobile-internet-access/msg315402/#msg315402

Offline Evie

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 11:13:03 AM »
Thanks I will take all your advice on board. I currently have a Blackberry that is on 3g but was thinking of buying a tablet (instead of a new laptop) to bypass my home wifi because it is so crap despite being checked out several times by ttnet and by Turk telecom.

Offline rik

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 16:22:15 PM »
Thanks I will take all your advice on board. I currently have a Blackberry that is on 3g but was thinking of buying a tablet (instead of a new laptop) to bypass my home wifi because it is so crap despite being checked out several times by ttnet and by Turk telecom.
Hi Evie
Sorry, it's me again. Changing the subject, to your home Wi-Fi. Usually Turk Telecom will only check as far as the main connection near you house/villa/apartment. If they say it's ok, your problem could be from there into your wall socket or even the modem. You don't mention your usage. While a VINN works fine, for basic use, emails etc. If you do any sort of streaming, you will go though a VINN in no time. I would be lucky to get a week out of a 10gig one.
I have nothing against a tablet, in fact I use mine a lot, (UK TV wherever I get a Wi-Fi connection) but you need to think, fit for purpose. I spend hours at my PC, this is by far the best device, it does everything, but I can't carry it around with me. I can carry my laptop around, but it's a little inconvenient. My tablet slips in my pocket, is light and very convenient, has a camera, navigation, voice control, etc. but small screen and fiddly, and of course the programs are usually abbreviated versions and you can't always use them like a full version. If you can afford to keep the laptop (and sort out your home internet) as well as a tablet, you have a perfect setup. 

Offline Shamless2

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 22:43:18 PM »
I bought an unlimited sim last year for 70ytl, it worked perfectly well.

Offline Evie

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 14:17:42 PM »
Thanks Rik  your post is really helpful - I have decided to replace my laptop with a new one from UK s mine is 6 years old. We have decided to have the cable replaced from our telephone main connection to the house  about 35 metres I know the cable was broken so think its worth just getting it replaced. I am going to buy a wifi tablet in Uk  (for travelling abroad and around Turkey )

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf