Author Topic: Reclined Aircraft Seats  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Reclined Aircraft Seats
« on: June 21, 2014, 18:35:55 PM »
Is it just me or do others think that people sitting in front of you in economy are complete selfish bar stewards where just like you they enjoy only a few inches of useable space, only to then think that it's their right to steal 75% of your 'space' by reclining their seat so they enjoy a bit more room ?

OK, I know many will say the answer is just to then recline your own seat but the domino effect doesn't stack up for the poor gits who's seat backs onto a bulk head, like the toilets or plane divider, crew seat etc. it's also almost impossible to eat a meal from your tray when the seat in front has been reclined and from a safety perspective, the laughable emergency 'brace' position can hardly be achieved with all seats upright for most people but even for Jimmy Cranky couldn't do it if the seat in front was reclined.

I spent eight hours today on a flight where the guy in front kept his seat fully reclined, even when requested by the cabin steward at meal times to put his seat upright, he went back into the Jim Royle position as he chewed his last forkful of food and then slept, complete with ear plugs inserted, blackout eye mask and wrapped like a babe in swaddling cote blanket.

I was seething, uncomfortable, stressed and angry, but at the end of the day, this person wasn't breaking any aviation rule, in fact the aircraft company ( Turkish Airlines ) condone the practice by providing the facility.

It's wrong !

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Reclined Aircraft Seats
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 19:03:30 PM »
I had this coming back from Marrakesh last year - the (rather pi55ed) old bat in front of me said, for the benefit of all, "apologies in advance to whoever is behind me but I'm putting my seat back".

Unluckily for her, the person behind her was me, and I kept opening and closing my tray in free fall, and tapping my feet on the bottom of her seat, till she returned it to the upright position.

I don't think it's rudeness or lack of consideration, it's lack of understanding and a need for education. At least on many short haul flights there is no recline option.

Offline apollo

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 19:46:44 PM »
It is rude, inconsiderate and selfish.

Offline sadler

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 19:52:43 PM »
Couldn't agree more. In fact when someone in front of me does recline I am afraid I have to stretch, push and shove on the seat in front and if I do have to get up to go to the loo I push the seat forward so the the person reclining almost takes off and flies through the front windows! So if you find yourself flying through mid air when you are reclined it is probably because little ol me is sitting squashed behind you!!! Ŷ

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 20:13:36 PM »
On a flight back from Miami last year I had the smallest person in front of me who reclined the whole way back ! Similar to rimms in that she had eye mask blanket and ear plugs which is just as well as the air was blue. Fortunately the air steward took a shine to us and deliberately bumped her seat with his trolley and smiled behind his hand each time , whilst simultaneously dropping 2 more bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon in my lap!

Offline apollo

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 20:31:02 PM »
I have found that the use of strategic or careless use of a broadsheet newspaper can help to annoy the offending recliner.

Offline sadler

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 20:32:59 PM »
How? 

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 20:46:41 PM »
On Monarch flights it is no longer possible to recline your seats, it has been disabled.

Offline apollo

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 21:03:31 PM »
How? 

I have short arms and can only read the bottom of the page and so the top of the paper has to lay somewhere.

Offline sadler

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 21:13:50 PM »
 :D :D :D love it!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf