Author Topic: Customer Service Calls From Banks  (Read 2593 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Customer Service Calls From Banks
« on: September 30, 2014, 18:03:01 PM »
About the same time of the month for the last 3 or 4 years I have been getting a "courtesy call" from my bank.

Each time it goes roughly like this.

Me: "Hello"

Caller: "Hi, this is ****** from **** Bank. Can I speak to Mr. Alan ***** please? "

Me: "Yes, that's me"

Caller:  "Hi, this is ****** from **** Bank. This is just a courtesy call to make sure that you are happy with the service that we're providing"

Me: "OK"

Caller: "Before we go any further I must point-out that this conversation is being monitored and recorded for training purposes"

Me: "Fine"

Caller: "I just have a few security questions to go through. Is that OK with you?"

Me: "That's fine, but for security reasons, can you first tell me my account number please?"

Caller: "Oh I can't do that"

Me: "Why not?"

Caller: "Data Protection"

Me: "In that case, for Data Protection reasons, I can't answer your security questions"

Long Silence

Me: "Goodbye then"

Click

Now, surely after all this time, somebody's listened to at least one of these recorded conversations, or has checked that a call hasn't been correctly completed?

Is it me ?  ;)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Customer Service Calls From Banks
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 08:20:04 AM »
I would never answer security details on an incoming call. If my bank phone me then they are usually reacting to an application or a call from me. If not then I would ask them to email me the details they require. They have my email address.

It's pretty rare for my bank to ask for a survey on the phone and I would be wary immediately. However I would also not want them to give out my bank account number over the phone - until they have made sure they are talking to me first.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 18:54:32 PM »
I suspect that this recording of calls is a disciplinary measure to control call centre staff and not much to do with training - a sort of "Big Brother is listening" ploy (or "Foucault's panopticon" for those of you that like that stuff). The point is that employees are supposed to worry all the time that their performance was being monitored. Years ago it didn't work very well since operatives were able to tell those few occasions when they actually being overheard. Perhaps now the technology has been "improved".

Offline susuz.1

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 21:45:22 PM »
I cannot see any point in Customer Service calls. For example, on receiving a call purporting to be from my mobile phone provider wanting to provide upgrade details, the caller asked me to answer security questions to prove my identity. My reply was that as I have no means to confirm the identity of the caller, I am terminating the conversation.

I cannot see how any company contacting account holders by phone expect you to answer in any other way unless of course you're expecting the call.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 21:48:13 PM »
Exactly my point, but their bosses just don't seem to get it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf