Author Topic: Brass Necked 'Customers'  (Read 5143 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Brass Necked 'Customers'
« on: March 22, 2015, 23:34:08 PM »
I was reminded today of just how ignorant some so-called customers can be.

There was a programme on BBC Scotland about Scots getting scammed, and one featured a guy who used a well known villa rental site to find a property for his family holiday. The 'owner' wasn't the owner - he was a scammer. The scammer suggested that if they continued the transaction outside the website he could offer a better deal as he wouldn't have to pay the website their fee. The customer thought this an excellent idea and agreed, sending 50% of the rental cost as a deposit as agreed.

Well, he never heard another thing from the 'owner'. Who would imagine such a thing happening. So, what did he do...

He contacted the property rental website to ask if they could help!!!

It just reminded me of the number of customers who came to me and viewed properties, then viewed property with someone else and got a "great deal" - well, till they paid the money and it all went wrong and they never got their tapu - then asked me if I could help!!!

People eh.

Offline Hamlet

Re: Brass Necked 'Customers'
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 12:42:39 PM »
When I ran our Estate Agency in the UK we used to get potential Landlords coming to us 'just thinking' of letting out the property they had inherited or couldn't sell.
We would spend ages explaining all the rules & regulations, safety check, the potential hiccups of renting referencing procedures, tenancy agreements, possession procedures & in latter years the Deposit Protection Regulations.
I would then spend my petrol and time going to see the property, advising them on anything that needed to be done & the expected rental income.
The next thing you know, they either put it on the market with another Agent at a higher price & a lower commission rate, or they advertised it privately.

The best part was that in most cases, they would come back to us several months later, still seeking a tenant or because they needed help dealing with a bad or troublesome tenant.  8)

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 12:49:14 PM »
In both of the above cases I hope the answer was the same.  ;)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 17:05:23 PM »
In both of the above cases I hope the answer was the same.   ;)

Yep, as in ; " Off you can jolly well f$*k " !!!!

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 17:11:43 PM »
Well Bewva, certainly in my case it would be a business decision, if I could financially benefit then we would smile nicely & take their money whilst secretly laughing, if we didn't see any benefit, it would be a polite no thanks.
You have to look at the bigger picture and unfortunately, telling them to **** off would get you a bad reputation.
You can say what you like about people like that once you have gone home.

We all have to make a living after all.  8)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 17:55:13 PM »
My son, who has his own plumbing business, had a call from a guy who wanted a new bathroom suite.  So, my son called to see him.  The guy wanted the old toilet, sink and bath out and a new suite in.   He then told my son he was willing to spend up to £300.00. !!!!   My son explained that it would cost a lot more than that, then the asked would it be cheaper if he did not take a sink !!!

Offline grahamturner09

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 19:36:46 PM »
I get that sort of thing all the time, I go around diagnose the boiler fault and they then go and get the part themselves, I charge and get the money for my first visit now.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 20:23:06 PM »
When we were buying our present home we had arranged to see several properties over a Bank Holiday weekend.
We arrived at one at the agreed time but the couple seemed flustered and the woman was upset so we offered to
come back but they said no and called us in.
They said a couple with 4 young kids had turned and asked for a viewing then spent an hour opening every drawer, cupboard, units,
all the wardrobes ect and while they did so the kids were left to run riot. As they were leaving the woman turned to her partner
and said " I wish we could afford something like this ".   Trashing peoples homes and privacy for a weekends entertainment.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 20:26:54 PM »
My Mother used to work with a lady who arranged for her and her husband to visit houses that were up for sale. She had no intention of buying a house, but she said she enjoyed looking around other people's homes and she thought of her weekend's viewings as a "hobby".

Offline scorcher

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 22:51:26 PM »
Quite normal as a hobby. I used to do the same with pubs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf