Author Topic: The King is dead....Long live the King  (Read 6558 times)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Re: The King is dead....Long live the King
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 21:32:51 PM »
Jacqui,  your argument re. hereditary royalty and the present family not being related to Richard 111 , but to the Tudors, would be perfectly valid, if not for the fact that Henry V11, (Tudor ), in order to " cement " his claim to the throne , married Elizabeth of York, daughter of Edward IV and niece of Richard III, thus , in my mind, and that of many, many noted historians, keeping alive the Plantagenet  line of royalty !! Ergo, the present lodgers in Buck House ARE descendants of the Plantagenet dynasty !! Simple really.   ???

Offline GordonA

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 21:39:09 PM »
Lance, PLEASE check your history before making a berk of yourself .   ;)

Offline pops

• Craig
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 21:50:02 PM »
I think that the amount spent on the funeral will pale into insignificance when the tourists start to come to the Cathedral and then spend money in Leicester.

So who pays? Does Leicester pay considering they seem to be the only area that will benefit? Where exactly does the cash for this indulgence come from? Who decides that this is "value for money" when local services are being cut? 2.5 million would pay a lot of nurses wages.

Offline suehugh

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 21:53:51 PM »
Please don't bring the NHS into this discussion. It's a bottomless pit that will never be filled.

Offline GordonA

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 21:55:31 PM »
I think that charlie boy and that horse that he married, should foot the bill, no particular reason behnd my thinking, I hate the whole feckin' lot of them !!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 22:11:07 PM »
Jacqui,  your argument re. hereditary royalty and the present family not being related to Richard 111 , but to the Tudors, would be perfectly valid, if not for the fact that Henry V11, (Tudor ), in order to " cement " his claim to the throne , married Elizabeth of York, daughter of Edward IV and niece of Richard III, thus , in my mind, and that of many, many noted historians, keeping alive the Plantagenet  line of royalty !! Ergo, the present lodgers in Buck House ARE descendants of the Plantagenet dynasty !! Simple really.   ???

I think what is in your mind Gordon, does not amount to a hill of beans in the Royal's minds.  Buck House already said that the Queen would not attend the funeral as the Royal House's opinion is, she is not related in to Richard III and the official story from the Royals is they still consider Richard a usurper and a man who murdered the Princes in the Tower.... Now before you argue with me...this is not my saying and not my doing.  It comes straight from the present Queen and was featured on the News this week after many questions from the public as to why the Queen was not at the Funeral.   So, you better write directly to Her Majesty.   
As to your insult to Lance, it is only your opinion, as I see it he is not a Historian neither are you, as for me I am only quoting the official line of descent as agreed by the Queen.  Perhaps you think she is a "Berk" too?

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 22:17:58 PM »
Gordon
I think the last answer said - you are quite right but the royal family don't like to accept that. If you write a letter to the sitting Queen will amount to more than two words?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 22:32:28 PM »
Why was he buried under a car park anyway - the car wasn't even invented back then.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 00:06:39 AM »
Well judging by the thousands that turned out it looks like money well spent and looks like people were actualy interested.

Better spent on him than the millions of layabouts shafting the system  :)

Offline GordonA

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 00:50:49 AM »
Well judging by the thousands that turned out it looks like money well spent and looks like people were actualy interested.

Better spent on him than the millions of layabouts shafting the system   :)

But could be FAR better spent on the N.H.S., or the many amputee service men & women who have given their all for this country, and find themselves struggling to make ends meet once our leaders have had their pound of flesh from said hero's. Have YOU ever lived in Services married quarters, no ? didn't think so, some of this money could have gone a long way to improving living conditions for military families , some of whom live in almost slum conditions, but , bollox to them eh, let's blow it on burying a rickle of bones. Nice to see this government has at last got the priorities right .  Colwyn,  ; no, just the one word ; " RAUS " !!  Jacqui, I HAVE studied World History , and that'll be an end to THAT particular old chestnut !!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf