Author Topic: Ruins of Cadianda  (Read 4799 times)

Offline Narrator

• Newly Registered
Ruins of Cadianda
« on: June 30, 2015, 14:05:44 PM »
Hi All, will be holidaying in Uzumlu in August and wanted to know if it is possible to walk up to the ruins. If so how long will it take and is the route sign posted. There again am I being a little naive to think it is feasible to do this in the summer ??

Offline GlennB

Re: Ruins of Cadianda
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 17:20:08 PM »
I've been up there the last 2 years and there is no way I'd walk it, it's a fair drive in the car, the track winds around a bit. Also if you do go take plenty of water, even wandering around under the trees it's bakeing, also descent walking shoes are advised, I tried it in sandals first time never again!

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 18:33:41 PM »
It's well worth seeing but it's a hell of a climb. I'm still wondering why they built it there, how they built it there,
and pity for the poor buggers that were sent out for supplies. I drove up but the road was breaking away under
the wheels on the bends. With your back to Fethiye there is / was a small sign on the right hand side of the main
road pointing up the road/track. Hope you find and enjoy it.

Offline scorcher

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 20:32:21 PM »
in my view, unless you are extremely fit and used to hiking in hot weather, this is really not a wise idea even carrying water.  the steepness isn't the problem, it's the fact it's a reasonably challenging uphill walk (well waymarked from the village), and you still have 2km of track to walk around the ruins when you get there - which are lovely, at a height where it is cooler, but to really enjoy it in August, don't walk there and back as well!  driving there is pretty but the quality of the vehicle access does vary depending on the season and what they are doing in the forest (felling etc) - this post from Mrs Scorcher

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 21:28:17 PM »
We did in a couple of years ago in August and John is still moaning at me for suggesting it.
I agree, if you're very fit and used to the heat fine, if not don't bother.
We really didn't appreciate the ruins once we arrived we were too hot and out of breath although the views were great.

Offline Narrator

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 08:28:13 AM »
Thanks everyone, looks like I may have to have a rethink about walking up there. It does look an amazing place to go and see though, so one way or the other I will definitely have a go at getting there.

Offline Firo

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 17:19:16 PM »
Well worth the drive up the track/road with fantastic views.
The walk around the site is circular and takes 1.5 to 2 hours and you will probably have the place to yourselves which is magical. In any other country in the world it would be a major tourist attraction.
Wear good walking shoes/boots and a stick will help on the decent.
Enjoy and take plenty of water.

Offline Honey Bee

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 22:23:15 PM »
Hi Fi been up there 3 times always in car
Great views

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 09:48:15 AM »
They are well worth seeing. We have walked up there, but not in August.

Offline Gus and Fiona

• Newly Registered
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 16:26:32 PM »
My husband and I were on holiday in Uzumlu in August 2yrs  ago. We decided to take a walk up to Cadianda Ruins (big mistake).  We were away for 5 hrs in total taking a bottle of water each. We thought we would be able to buy some from the little man that takes the entrance fee only to find out you can't.  We were 49 then and not that fit!  By the time we got back our legs were sore to say the least and had to keep drinking from the water wells on the way back.  Otherwise we would both have collapsed with heat exhaustion. Spent another 1hr at the bar drinking copious amounts of cold drinks just to feel normal again!!  We took some great photo's but please take the advise from others and drive there or you will regret it!!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf