Author Topic: Rip off Britain  (Read 1647 times)

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
Rip off Britain
« on: July 07, 2015, 09:50:42 AM »
Has anyone noticed that over the last few months the pound has strengthened against US dollar and Euro, have we seen cheaper BMWs etc or has the price of fuel shrunk to reflect the oil price, or more to the point has the airlines lowered the flight prices to Dalaman. I think not and feel we are being stung. What's up.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Re: Rip off Britain
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 10:18:19 AM »
Your so very right.  Fraid the Brit consumer is a mug when it comes to paying for anything, we do not complain enough and unfortunately the political class is, for a variety of reasons, locked in with the producers and retailers and rarely do anything to address the myriad of companies overcharging in the UK.  So as long as people are prepared to put up with it, they'll keep charging the high prices ..... bonuses and bigger dividends allround well done everyone!!

Biggest crooks for overcharging, in my book, are listed below in no particular order, and the list is by no means an exhaustive one either.

Power companies - see todays report from the Competion Authority, but still they do not go far enough
Banks
Mobile companies
Telecoms companies - in particular BT (both its wholesale and its retail arm)
Independent TV companies ('license to print money' still stands today)
Sky TV
Motor Fuel companies - throughout their supply chain
Large Supermarkets
Builders - or rather non builders with large land banks increasing in value on a daily basis
Outsource companies for various local and national government services - SERCO, Group 4, Capita,
Rail Companies - wow where do you begin with those robbers again all through the supply chain
Insurance companies in their various guises
So called money saving comparison sites - robbers the lot of them, always taking a big commission and almost exclusively from the big providers in any particular market that they supposedly serve
Football Clubs in particular Premiership Clubs

That's enough. I'll wear out this keyboard if I was to continue on, but you get my drift I am sure.

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 10:53:18 AM »
UBT - I received a very soggy empty carboard box yesterday. Was that your drift?  ;D

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 11:42:03 AM »
Prices of Oil... The government put very hight tax on it.  The Oil Companies and Oil Service companies have high overheads including going deeper and deeper for oil and looking for it in places much further afield.   The Oil Companies and Services Companies are really suffering at the moment with massive job losses in the industry.
Another 1,000 jobs to be lost in the North East, just reported yesterday.
So, the government are still coining it in from the Oil revenue.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 15:07:08 PM »
Employment Agencies, particularly those linked to the NHS, vultures.!!
Consultancy's linked to the Civil Service, and Civil Servants that use them to cover up their inability to do the jobs we're paying them to do.
Retailers in general. When it pays to travel to the USA to buy goods that are sometimes half the price of the same items here it's a rip off.!!
US customers also demand a far higher specification for the goods they buy, and they get it.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 15:29:46 PM »
Are you saying Jacqui that the government taxation is responsible for the price of oil?  The price of oil over the last year has plummeted, but that has not been reflected in the price of fuels at the pump (exclusive of any taxation).  You are confusing yourself with the government taxation on the refined products like petrol or derv.  The price of petrol and derv has come down a little in the UK since the oil price has dropped, but not anywhere near as much as they should have fallen relative to the price of oil.  It's like I said in my original post the oil companies always make money through their cartel/monopolistic tactics that they apply (or perhaps I should say are allowed to apply) throughout the whole supply chain that they control, from exploration, through extraction, refining and distribution.

Heads they win, tails we the consumer lose.  Been the same since the days of JD Rockefeller and Standard Oil, and continues to be operated by its descendants and the British/Dutch companies that make up the 'Seven Sisters' that dominate the oil industry.

BTW if we are talking about taxation on the oil companies in their exploration work, let's not forget the very generous tax breaks they receive for this and extraction developments that they enjoy ..... my heart bleeds for them. 

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 15:41:13 PM »

And my wallet bleeds for them.!         

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf