Author Topic: Turkish airlines via Istanbul fantastic  (Read 8457 times)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Turkish airlines via Istanbul fantastic
« on: November 22, 2017, 07:35:21 AM »
A great bucket load of praise to Turkish Airlines what a fab airline ????We flew home with them Saturday and apart from there not being many seating areas at Ataturk airport ( if you did not want to sit in a restaurant or cafe) it was a fab experience...we had 4 hr 20 min stop off in Istanbul and it passed quickly, the distance between the 2 terminals was nowhere near as far as I had thought it would be, in fact we both said our Easyjet departure gates at Gatwick seem a longer walk! For £70 per person that included 20 kilo hold luggage & 8 hand but she didnt weigh the hand bags. A snicky snack & drink on first plane, then a meal on 2nd plane with drinks, I only had soft drinks but Derek had 2 of the small wine bottles which are about a fiver each on most flights and inflight entertainment on little tablet gadgets on the seat in front so you can choose your own movie etc, complimentary headphones on the seat when you boarded...our only tiny niggle was their seats still seem to be able to be reclined ( thought this had been done away with on newer planes) man in front of Derek reclined and as Dell is tall he was a bit squished so we asked the man if he could move his seat forward a little which he was really unhappy about so im afraid he had to get a big shove from me once he was bye byes just selfish...

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Turkish airlines via Istanbul fantastic
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 08:58:56 AM »
I've mentioned THY as an alternative several times over the years, especially with some of the prices from Edinburgh and Manchester which are at times half those of Easyjet et al.

Since they opened the Edinburgh - Istanbul flight I've never used anyone else to fly to Turkey.  Unfortunately, they are not so competitive from Malaga, €300rtn minimum with no available promotions that I've seen so far.

JF

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 09:01:50 AM »
I didn't realise they flew from Edinburgh.
I'll certainly check them out for future flights

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 11:33:53 AM »
Route been there for a few years now, but its really only a goer from Edinburgh during the "season" as you need the later Dalaman flight to still be running.

I just wish it'd been there earlier, can't begin to count the hours I've spent over the years transiting through AMS & CDG with KLM when traveling to Istanbul from Edinburgh.

JF

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 16:21:57 PM »
I remember flying out to IST with THY in 2003 a day after the British Embassy was bombed. It was from Heathrow via Frankfurt am Main. The flight that was supposed to be connecting with our flight was arriving too late from Russia for ours to be held. We took off with about 30-40 passengers but with meals for 300+. We were all completely stuffed with food by the time we landed and each passenger was given a bottle or 2 of booze on landing.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 20:49:34 PM »
Since posting iv read ( who knows if its true!) that a travel agent told someone Turkish Airlines along with a few other carriers are bidding for Monarch's old slots and if successful it will be announced in January at sale time...this would mean they would then have direct flights from uk which would be just brilliant...  ;)

Offline TOSH TOSH

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 21:15:44 PM »
We have flown with Turkish airlines many times and have found them to be the best, so fingers crossed they fly from the UK.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 22:50:56 PM »
We have flown with Turkish airlines many times and have found them to be the best, so fingers crossed they fly from the UK.

Errr... have you actually read this topic?

Since posting iv read ( who knows if its true!) that a travel agent told someone Turkish Airlines along with a few other carriers are bidding for Monarch's old slots and if successful it will be announced in January at sale time...this would mean they would then have direct flights from uk which would be just brilliant...    ;)

Too the best of my knowledge this isn't correct.  Their slots at Manchester and Birmingham have been lost and are back in the general pool, administered by ACL (Airport Coordination Ltd).  Their slots at Gatwick and Luton were subject to a high court appeal against them losing them, which the administrators won today.  The airlines currently in the frame to bid on them are EasyJet, IAG (owners of BA), Wizz Air and Norwegian.

Here's a link to an article in today's FT with a bit more detail: https://www.ft.com/content/cb920b32-cf9c-11e7-9dbb-291a884dd8c6

It'd be great if THY decided to enter the contest for the slots but direct flights to holiday destinations doesn't fit their model (this came from a THY middle manager I met in Sevilla last week who was appalled when I asked him about it - on the basis of a topic on here a couple of weeks ago) as they consider themselves a "premium flag carrier".  OK, the guy might have really been in charge of discharging the toilet tanks at Ataturk, but he came across as a wee bit further up the food chain.  He got a bit shifty when I suggested they were considering a direct IST - SVQ flight, so as far as I'm concerned I reckon I'll see a direct Sevilla flight before direct Dalaman from the UK.

But, as I said, the guy might have been a glorified lavvy attendant!

JF

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 07:32:32 AM »
I've  heard that when the new terminal opens in Dalaman there will be TA flights direct to the UK possibly all year round!

I love flying with Turkish Airlines

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 09:01:44 AM »
there will be TA flights direct to the UK possibly all year round!

If that were to happen it would give the local economy a serious boost.  Bear in mind though that THY already offer direct flights from the UK to Antalya and Izmir via their subsidiary SunExpress, so there is a high likelihood it'd be them as opposed to THY.

Going back to Monarchs slots, its worth remembering that Monarchs slots from the UK are simply that, there's no guarantee that any operator who takes them over will actually fly the same routes, i.e. to Turkey. 

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf