Author Topic: buying and olive grove "zeytinlik" need advise  (Read 6524 times)

Offline mskhasawneh

• Love Fethiye
buying and olive grove "zeytinlik" need advise
« on: February 10, 2018, 16:13:28 PM »
Dear members of this very informative and helpful forum: I would like to thank every participant in this valuable forum, I have followed this forum for a year and a half and it has been an excellent source of info and experience and enabled me to buy my dream holiday apartment in calis.
I am considering to buy a small olive farm as a hobby, and would like to know if foreigners  are allowed to buy land and keep  it, and what are the conditions for keeping it.
I appreciate our members advise.

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
Re: buying and olive grove "zeytinlik" need advise
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 17:24:28 PM »
My hubby says yes but takes a few months to complete. Investigations etc.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 17:31:18 PM »
Buying agricultural land has the potential to be an absolute nightmare. Both from a legal and financial perspective, more so if you're only a casual visitor.

If you go ahead, I hope you have deep pockets...

JF

Offline mskhasawneh

• Love Fethiye
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 18:20:00 PM »
Thank you JohnF for your input. I was thinking that sharing the produce from the olive trees would finance servicing and care taking of the land and trees.

Offline mskhasawneh

• Love Fethiye
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 18:33:05 PM »
I would appreciate  John if you elaborate more on the legal perspective?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 18:58:29 PM »
I suggest you do some research into the implications of running a business in Turkey, as a foreigner.  As regards to purchasing agricultural land, it all depends on location.  I can recommend a very good solicitor if you're serious about this project.

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 03:18:56 AM »
Welcome Mohammed, I have spent time in Al Ain in long past years.

I would agree you need to be careful, even if your objective is hobby rather than profit. One of the issues you will doubtless come up against is whether you are running a business or enjoying providing a free service to assist the local area. My experience is that in Turkey, nobody will believe you did anything for nothing...

Offline mskhasawneh

• Love Fethiye
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 07:35:32 AM »
I appreciate all the input I am getting, and Scunner a warm greeting from Al ain, as you know we have mild beautiful weather at the moment.
I will hardly call ownership of a small olive grove (max 10000 sqm.)  a business, I was thinking just of having it and have a local farmer share the produce 50/50 or what ever the percentage while taking  care of the trees and land. That type of sharing is done else where. At the same  time willing to pay what ever tax they ask for of any profit of any sort, but without the hassle of establishing a business. May be one can call renting own flat a business if someone does that, but a small plot with trees is far from that.
I have tried to read as much as I could but I am running into a condition where it is stated that you have to present to the authorities a plan or project for the plot you buy, but then I am thinking if the plot is already filled with trees then what kind of a project are they talking about? I don't understand this part.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 08:12:03 AM »
I will hardly call ownership of a small olive grove (max 10000 sqm.)  a business, I was thinking just of having it and have a local farmer share the produce 50/50 or what ever the percentage while taking  care of the trees and land. That type of sharing is done else where. At the same  time willing to pay what ever tax they ask for of any profit of any sort, but without the hassle of establishing a business.

In the eyes of the Turkish taxman it would be a business and in the eyes of the ministry of labour it would be a business.  The local farmer would also be liable for tax on his share of the produce. The Turkish tax man, at times, makes Shylock look benevolent - I mean, he only wanted a pound of flesh.

May be one can call renting own flat a business if someone does that,
Actually in Turkey it is.  Recently imposed rental regulations mean many property owners now have had to retain the services of an accountant and register as a business.

Turkey isn't like "else where", it is unique and after nearly twenty years of working and doing business in Turkey I am happy to be out of it, for now   :) 

JF

Offline mskhasawneh

• Love Fethiye
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 08:36:47 AM »
Thank you JohnF, as you can see I am just trying to learn about his and know more. I like the analogy about renting the flat as a kind of business, and then if renting a flat does not require registering a company in our name can a small olive trees plot be owned and run without registering a company in our name, and would it be suffecient just to pay income tax same way when renting out a flat.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf