Author Topic: New Starling Bank card  (Read 3946 times)

Offline uuldee

New Starling Bank card
« on: July 23, 2019, 10:08:33 AM »
Hi guys
Being a canny Scot I'm always looking at the best value for money lol. I've recently subscribed to a free Sterling Bank card. I applied on line, sent them a photo of my driving licence as proof of identity, (passport will do too) and 48 hours later the card popped through the letter box. Download the app, transfer in some cash from your bank and your ready to go. I't works as contactless, or pin and has a stripe for swiping. The best bit is you can withdraw up to £300 in TRY per day from any ATM and pay no commission. I used it at the Akbank ATM in Calis and the Ziraat bank ATM a few days ago and while the Ziraat ATM said there was a 3% charge I got 70 TRY from both ATM,s for £9.93. I went to the change shop in Calis on the same day and got 6.8 with our loyalty card. The exchange rate is based on the mastercard rate prevailing at the time that the bank does the actual transfer (it was 24hrs later for Akbank and 48hrs later for Ziraat but both rates were identical at 7.04)
Hope this helps someone.
Billy

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: New Starling Bank card
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 10:50:54 AM »
Another plus with it is that you can top it up with cash at any UK Post Office.

Offline Big Doug

• Not so big Doug
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 13:56:38 PM »
Starling Bank is very good, and I’ve found the exchange rate to be slightly better than any exchange places, definitely recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 20:34:48 PM »
Totally love my Starling account sooo very glad I opened the account and I get bunged the odd bit of interest from them, my Nationwide account is now a thing of the past while in Turkey   :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 23:40:35 PM »
Same, I sit on the balcony, transfer a couple of hundred quid from my current account to my Starling account, walk round to the nearest ATM and take it out in lira at a superb exchange rate. Nothing easier or better value for money.

Offline AOK

• Plumstead, London, UK
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 07:12:13 AM »
Normally use our Nationwide  card while out in Calis  and draw out £ then change into Lira.Decided this time to get a Starling card to draw out Lira from the ATM's.
However all the machines I've  tried so far in Calis  want to charge  between 5.5%_7.00%.I thought withdrawals in local currency  were free?🙁

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 11:42:09 AM »
Do they give you the option to choose whether you accept the ATM bank's rate or let your card issuer set it? I have never been charged in Turkey on Starling and always take out TL.

Offline AOK

• Plumstead, London, UK
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 15:56:53 PM »
Not sure,will have another try,tnks  :)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 20:13:09 PM »
Hi AOK if you go to an Akbank ATM and use your Starling card to wivdraw in tl go thru all the doings and wen u get to the bit that says there is a 5% charge for this transaction youl have a yes or no button to press press the no and ul get your money anyway with no charge, we’ve had the same thing for last two weeks and so far no charges have shown up, must be Akbank tho as most of others u will get a charge!

Offline AOK

• Plumstead, London, UK
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 17:49:34 PM »
Nice 1.Tnks  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf