Author Topic: Turkcell PAYG mobile - Just died  (Read 2826 times)

Offline DavidNicholson

Turkcell PAYG mobile - Just died
« on: August 07, 2019, 10:33:20 AM »
Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.  I have had a PAYG Turkish mobile on Turkcell for around 12 or more years.  We usually visit Turkey 2 to 3 times a year and I have always regularly topped it up from the UK via internet banking.
I diary it on so that I always top it up within a 3 month period.  Last top-up was 13th May, but when I went to use it yesterday (here in the UK) it will not make or receive calls or texts.
There is over 100TL in the balance and I have a good signal with either T-Mobile or O2.  So although it looks like it should work, it does not.
I think I remember reading something about Turkcell cancelling network access if you are not resident and am wondering if I have been "cut off".
Anyone have any knowledge on this please?

Offline davybill

Re: Turkcell PAYG mobile - Just died
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 11:16:51 AM »
Yes you have to register with Turkcel.

Offline DavidNicholson

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 12:30:22 PM »
Thanks Davybill.  I did register umpteen years ago when I bought the PAYG phone - do you mean I will have to register with them again when I am next over?  Also, as I am not resident in Turkey, will that have a bearing on the matter?

Offline Big Doug

• Not so big Doug
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 14:11:27 PM »
My understanding is you will need or know someone with residency to register, myself I’m going just use my uk Vodafone mobile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 15:00:38 PM »
Thanks Davybill.  I did register umpteen years ago when I bought the PAYG phone - do you mean I will have to register with them again when I am next over?  Also, as I am not resident in Turkey, will that have a bearing on the matter?

Yes, you had to re register by (notionally) begining of May & now have to have a residents visa to have a PAYG. I put my friend's phone in my name, as she doesn't have residency, but she had to pay for a new SIM card & lost all the credit on her original SIM

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 16:06:19 PM »
yes i was cut off 31st july  i going to see whether i can register  with my tax number

Offline DavidNicholson

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 18:44:23 PM »
Many thanks.  It is as I suspected then - just been "cut off".  Oh well, it was probably the oldest phone in the world anyway - a little old Nokia - so even the bin might be embarrassed to be given it!!!
We have also been using an old UK smartphone with Vodafone PAYG sim in it on PAYG1, which is as much use as you want in a day (data for the day is 0.5 gig) for £1.  That will do us for our visits so that will be Turkcell's loss then.
Thanks for your help - a font of knowledge on here.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 18:48:32 PM »
Stick a UK SIM in the Nokia and keep for emergencies. That's what I do with my old Turkish 3200.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf