Author Topic: TL slipping again  (Read 56642 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: TL slipping again
« Reply #190 on: May 25, 2021, 10:00:32 AM »
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan sacked Oğuzhan Özbaş, a deputy governor of the central bank, meaning four of the bank’s seven-member rate-setting committee have lost their jobs since March.

https://ahvalnews.com/turkish-lira/erdogan-sacks-central-banks-deputy-chief-management-overhaul

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #191 on: May 27, 2021, 17:02:51 PM »
Sitting at 12.09 at close of business today.

Offline hornedfrog

« Reply #192 on: May 28, 2021, 08:41:20 AM »
Hold onto yer hats...just auto-exchanged on Revolut at 12.15.

What's going on?
@KKOB, you usually have a good take on currencies...

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #193 on: May 28, 2021, 10:27:37 AM »
The consensus in the money markets is that Turkey's central bank needs to maintain or even raise interest rates, whilst the 'Glorious Leader' is insisting that rates should be lower. I think we all know where that's leading.  ;) Anyone for Musical Chairs ?  :)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #194 on: May 28, 2021, 13:05:26 PM »
Seems that I was a bit premature with my prediction of the TL going to 12.20 last week but, unfortunately, it's now heading that way.

I've posted the entire article from Ahval as I know that members in Turkey can't access it without using a VPN.

Turkey’s lira hit an all-time low against the dollar and euro on Friday on concerns about lax monetary policy and ahead of hefty foreign currency debt repayments.

The lira fell 1.1 percent to 8.59 per dollar, beating a previous record of 8.58 per dollar set in early November. It dropped to 10.46 against the euro.

The embattled currency has slumped 16 percent since mid-March, when President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan sacked the head of the central bank the day after he raised interest rates. Since then, foreign investors have sold billions of dollars of Turkish stocks and bonds on fears that the bank will cut rates of 19 percent prematurely.

Inflation in the country accelerated to 17.1 percent in April, the highest level in major emerging markets outside of crisis-hit Argentina, which is implementing an International Monetary Fund rescue programme.

“Each burst of depreciation risks triggering a fresh lira crisis as it begins to feed back into higher inflation, which the central bank cannot fight off because it is unable to credibly hike rates,” Tatha Ghose, senior emerging markets economist at Commerzbank, said in a report to investors.

On Thursday, the World Bank urged Turkey to keep monetary policy tight, saying it was the only way for the government to ensure strong and sustainable economic growth. The central bank kept interest rates at below inflation for much of 2020 to help the government engineer a borrowing boom via state-run banks.

"The outlook this year is very uncertain and hinges on the course of policy ... especially monetary policy and the effectiveness of COVID control measures," World Bank senior economist David Knight said at a panel discussion, referring to rising global inflation and a switch to tighter U.S. monetary policy, according to Reuters.

Economists are predicting that new central bank governor Şahap Kavcıoğlu will cut interest rates this year even as inflation remains in double digits, according to a monthly central bank survey. Kavcıoğlu has said he will keep rates at above realised and expected inflation, without providing further details. 

Erdoğan, who has sacked three central bank governors in less than three years, says high interest rates are inflationary, an unorthodox theory that has won sympathy from Kavcıoğlu, who had no experience in central banking before accepting the job.

Global inflation is also accelerating as countries emerge from the pandemic. That has pushed up U.S. bond yields, prompting investors to pull capital from more fragile emerging markets such as Turkey. Losses for the lira are increasing the cost of Turkey’s imports, fuelling inflation further.

The lira’s losses are being compounded by locals buying dollars ahead of large foreign currency debt repayments, Bloomberg reported, citing two traders who asked not to be named. Turkish companies are due to repay or roll over $6.9 billion of foreign currency loans in June, central bank data shows.

The lira, which has lost more than half its value since 2018, is also weakening during renewed political uncertainty. Opposition parties are calling for early elections after a mafia boss made allegations of underworld links against government officials including the interior minister. Erdoğan has responded, saying presidential and parliamentary elections will take place as planned in 2023.

International credit agency Standard & Poor’s was due to review Turkey’s junk ‘B+’ debt rating later on Friday. The market is pricing Turkey two notches below S&P’s rating in the debt swaps market, Reuters said. 

Offline jackstee

« Reply #195 on: May 29, 2021, 16:13:57 PM »
Last year 13 was predicted for this year

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #196 on: June 01, 2021, 08:20:45 AM »
The Russian government has lengthened a ban on tourists travelling to Turkey until June 21, the Diken news website reported.

The restrictions, which began on April 15, have been extended from June 1.

That's another blow to Turkey's tourism trade and the economy as a whole

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #197 on: June 04, 2021, 08:26:09 AM »
A group of U.S. lawmakers published a letter on Thursday calling on the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) to work with global partners in a sustained and coordinated effort to hold accountable the Turkish government, led by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, for repeated violations of religious freedom and human rights.

(Ahval)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #198 on: June 04, 2021, 09:36:59 AM »
Turkey’s lira extended a record low on Friday even after consumer price inflation slowed for the first time in eight months and the central bank pledged tight monetary policy.

The currency’s renewed weakness - it has hit successive all-time lows over the past week - reflects the doubts Turks feel over the economic outlook and the accuracy of inflation data. Foreign investors are also fleeing Turkish markets, pointing to political interference in monetary policy.

(Ahval)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #199 on: June 10, 2021, 15:50:13 PM »
A slight rally today to 11.94 for no particular reason as yet.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf