Author Topic: Vegetables  (Read 8500 times)

Offline lissa

Re: Vegetables
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 18:33:40 PM »
Even in  restaurants that Turkish people frequent, apart from lokantas, salad and rice are served as accompaniments, and perhaps grilled long green pepper. Simple fact is, Turkish people don't generally eat plain boiled vegetables, not in their cuisine. Vegetables are usually cooked with onion, garlic and tomatoes, sometimes with small pieces of meat, which is more like 'house' or lokanta food. Or fried as they do with cauliflower, and courgettes made into patties, known as mucver, and served as meze.

Offline LindseyMitchell

• Newly Registered
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 14:00:06 PM »
As a regular visitor to Calis, I have a good idea what Turkish people eat, but in resort areas, they do tend to anglicise meals, hence chips, burgers, pizzas and Sunday lunches.  Even restaurants like Babzen, who serve lovely Turkish kebabs, serve chips as well.  Gunisik serve chips with nearly everything.
What I was asking initially, is why are they so mean with veg, when it’s so cheap and plentiful.  I’d love to eat veg the way Turkish people prepare it.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 19:46:32 PM »
The present Mrs H’s specific no chips request when ordering a meal in Babzen was met with the stony faced response “We don’t do chips”.  :)

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 20:26:40 PM »
As a regular visitor to Calis, I have a good idea what Turkish people eat, but in resort areas, they do tend to anglicise meals, hence chips, burgers, pizzas and Sunday lunches.  Even restaurants like Babzen, who serve lovely Turkish kebabs, serve chips as well.  Gunisik serve chips with nearly everything.
What I was asking initially, is why are they so mean with veg, when it’s so cheap and plentiful.  I’d love to eat veg the way Turkish people prepare it.

We have never had chips in Babzen.
They're not on the menu as far as I have seen

Offline LindseyMitchell

• Newly Registered
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2019, 06:57:31 AM »
Well, they certainly served chips last year.  One of our large party asked the waiter for some, and they were duly served.

Offline lissa

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2019, 08:06:17 AM »
The point I was trying to make is that Turks do not eat plain boiled vegetables as an accompaniment to a meal. Vegetables are cooked in tomato etc sauce, sometimes with small pieces of meat, and eaten as the main meal. More vegetable than meat generally. You can eat this sort of food in a lokanta.

Offline marina

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2019, 08:29:28 AM »
Babzen Kebab do chips. I have one of their menus in front of me now in our apartment at Kayapark (our local!   ;) )as they also do a takeaway service. They are not served as a rule with your meal but they will if you ask. We were down there a few nights ago and a party on the next table asked for s few portions and they were served.
They are under the starters on the menu.

Don't shoot the messenger!

Offline scorcher

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2019, 10:21:38 AM »
Vegetable tip not only for Turkey.When preparing a kale and quinoa salad simply drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over it. Shouldn't spoil the overall taste but makes it so much easier to scrape it into the bin.You are most welcome...

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2019, 21:05:23 PM »
Babzen Kebab do chips. I have one of their menus in front of me now in our apartment at Kayapark (our local!    ;) )as they also do a takeaway service. They are not served as a rule with your meal but they will if you ask. We were down there a few nights ago and a party on the next table asked for s few portions and they were served.
They are under the starters on the menu.

Don't shoot the messenger!

I stand corrected Marina but honestly have never noticed them on their menu.
Maybe because I'm too busy looking for my delicious, tasty Turkish cuisine 😍

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2019, 21:08:38 PM »
I think a meal without meat isn't a meal :o

But

If I had to give up meat, I'd move back to Turkey - their skill with meals made from vegetables are sensational   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf