Author Topic: Brexit means Brexit?  (Read 39483 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Brexit means Brexit?
« Reply #310 on: January 18, 2017, 09:27:19 AM »
Watched "Country File". On Sunday, very interesting programme where they visited New Zealand.   They were having a conversation with a farmer about his stock and how he went about business.   He said he was  in real trouble when Britian joined with Europe and just dropped N.Zealand.
I remember at the time that N.Zealand and Australia were very annoyed with G.Britian and felt abandoned by us.  I hope they will now forgive.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #311 on: January 18, 2017, 10:44:43 AM »

A relative in Perth, Australia had a huge cattle ranch at the time we joined the Common Market and all his meat was shipped refridgerated

to the UK. This was stopped by our Government and his business  went to the wall. The Australian Government set up emergency

compensation funding but he was only getting "pence per pound" for his meat.He came over here to try to find direct markets for his meat

but he was blocked by officialdom. The UK did the dirty on a lot of Commonwealth countries. His men used to use light aircraft to check

on the cattle. They all lost their jobs, the aircraft and cattle were sold at a loss, a lot of his land was sold at a loss, and until the day he

died he was very bitter about the UK Government .

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #312 on: January 18, 2017, 10:56:43 AM »
On the other hand, it was very good for UK sheep farmers who produced only 40% of UK sheep meat when we joined the EU but today the UK is very nearly self-sufficient with good exports of the lower quality meat that UK shoppers tend not to buy.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #313 on: January 18, 2017, 10:59:03 AM »
I think a lot of British people, perhaps those younger ones, do not know how badly we treated Australia and N.Zealand when we joined the E.U. 
I remember my Mum used to always buy New Zealand lamb and always thought it the best.

However, I really am so fed up with people who want to go over and over the fact that they lost the vote and cannot come to terms with this fact.  Why not move on and stop moaning.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #314 on: January 18, 2017, 12:19:23 PM »
But we won't be members of the single market or customs union. However that does not mean we cannot trade with Europe without tariffs.

Last time I checked putting a tarrif on imports and exports was massively in our favour cost wise but that doesn't mean we have to go down that route. I'm sure France and Germany will push for a free trade agreement with us as its in their interest. Their problem is that smaller members might veto it.

We now need to get on with things and invoke article 50. The sooner the better IMO.

Offline villain

• The most unpopular poster in the village
« Reply #315 on: January 18, 2017, 14:40:54 PM »
Supreme Court ruling on Tuesday.

Could be most interesting.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 15:50:31 PM by stoop »

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #316 on: January 18, 2017, 15:03:40 PM »
No it won't. Unless watching paint drying leaves you exhausted with excitement.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #317 on: January 18, 2017, 15:48:24 PM »
From Mr Fawkes :

The EU’s Common External Tariff comprises 12,651 different taxes and quotas imposed on goods from the rest of the world. This is what the Customs Union amounts to, a protectionist barrier to free trade with the 162 countries outside the EU. Don’t fall for the hype that it reduces trade barriers.

Garlic has a 200% external tariff to protect French farmers, tariffs double the price of sugar cane imported by Tate & Lyle from outside Europe. The policy was designed by the EU to boost beet sugar producers in 19 EU countries – at the expense of companies like Tate & Lyle who use cane sugar instead. Some US jeans face a 26% tariff, shoes face 17% tariffs to protect Italian cobblers. Some agricultural products, e.g. beef and dairy, have very substantial tariff rates, 54 dairy products alone have tariff rates of more than 75%. Just a few examples out of thousands showing how British consumers’ best interests are sacrificed to protect European producers from global competition…

Regional deals tend to divert trade rather than create it. Although they do lower some barriers, most do nothing to tackle the highest tariffs and each deal tends to enshrine the preferences of its largest members, making it harder to bring regional blocks together within a cohesive set of globally liberalised rules. The EU’s Customs Union only liberalises internal trade within the EU. Free trade will allow us to import raw materials from outside the EU at lower cost and without the tariffs designed to prop up inefficient European industries and high cost agriculture. The single market is really an internal market for 10% of the world’s population, the global market is a much bigger opportunity to be seized…

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #318 on: January 18, 2017, 15:51:16 PM »
Supreme Court ruling on Tuesday.

Could be most interesting.

Won't make any difference at all. It's going ahead whatever the ruling.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #319 on: February 06, 2017, 14:22:15 PM »
Some interesting data obtained by the BBC in respect of voting patterns in the referendum.

Age, level of educational and ethnicity appear to be the main factors that decided folks vote.

Full article here, worth a read.

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf