Author Topic: interest on savings  (Read 10254 times)

Offline cathy h

interest on savings
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 09:14:44 AM »
I think that it all depends on whether you plan to be in Turkey for the foreseeable future. The fluctuation in exchange rates only comes into play if you change sterling to lira when the rate is low (as it has been for a few months)and need to change it back when the rate has risen considerably.
In the meantime, whilst in a ytl monthly account you are earning in the region of 14-15% pa net of tax.
Having said that, I personally would not put all of my eggs in one basket and a balance between money held in the UK and in Turkey offers some security. if you have sold up completely in the UK, and you register in the UK as non-resident, any interest is paid without the deduction of UK tax. It is a bit of a palaver, but seems to work. Cathy

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 15:26:12 PM »
Scunner - I'm also interested in knowing more on this.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
interest on savings
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 16:25:08 PM »
Does anyone know if you can open a sterling HSBC account in the UK (with a UK branch) and access it in ytl at HSBC in Fethiye? I just phoned them asking this and told them I wanted an account where I could put in sterling in the UK and take out ytl in Turkey. Unfortunatley I was told this is not yet possible. However they are currently working on something along those lines. I'm not sure the guy knew what he was talking about though - hence the question  :)

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
interest on savings
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 16:34:26 PM »
Hi Stoop, I was told the same thing when I asked the HSBC the same question last year...

Offline cathy h

interest on savings
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 09:03:11 AM »
Hi there,
I have a feeling that if you use your UK account card at the branch in Fethiye, you are offered the choice of currency that you withdraw. I will be in the branch on Monday, so can ask the question for you, if that is not too late. Cathy

Offline Diverbaz 1

interest on savings
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 09:15:57 AM »
You can withdraw from your UK HSBC accounts in Turkey (providing you have an ATM card for the account) in sterling , euro's or YTL. you can also opt for the transaction in english, which at present you cannot do with a Turkish HSBC account, but soon will be able to.

You do not pay any thing for the withdrawal from your UK accounts, but are at the mercy of their exchange rate.

Baz 8)

Offline hubblebubble

interest on savings
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2008, 11:56:30 AM »
re 'safe' - it is worth comparing capital asset ratios (as calculated under basle 2) these are generally available on the internet.
Last time i checked Is bank came out best ranked of the turkish banks.

Offline orca

interest on savings
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2008, 19:43:35 PM »
If you have an HSBC bank account plus,you do not pay to withdraw cash in whatever currency,but if you have the basic HSBC current account then you pay for withdrawal according to how much you take out,this can add up to quite a bit if you withdraw money regularly.

Offline ECHOSTAR

• Uk and Sky Tv no Problem
interest on savings
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 05:43:48 AM »
I have a HSBC Bank Account plus in the uk, I had this argument with them the other Day about not charging for it and it being free so they say. how can it be free if they do not give the same exchange rate Duh?

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
interest on savings
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2008, 08:46:07 AM »
if you are a uk tax payer and intend to make money from overseas accounts the tax man will show some interest, if you open an account with a uk based bank they maybe have to disclose your holding where ever they are held.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf