Author Topic: sending money back.  (Read 8129 times)

Offline BernieTeyze

sending money back.
« on: August 09, 2014, 13:38:34 PM »
When we moved it was lock,stock and barrel. However, all this talk of change after the elections has us a bit jittery. We have decided to move our capitol back to our uk bank and leave just enough to pay the years  bills. Most of our money got spent buying this place,so we need to be able to survive if we did have to go back.

The whole headscarf,not laughing in public and fines for not doing housework and cooking isn,t what we came here for. We have 3 year residency, and who knows what will happen at the end of them. We want to make sure we have a choice to move the money,so acting now.

Any thoughts anyone?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: sending money back.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 14:03:45 PM »
I think moving the money is a bit premature. Afterall, compared to UK rates, you're getting a pretty good return on your capital in Turkey.

Offline thebillet

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 14:24:58 PM »
We moved ours back but we also have a place back in the uk. We took a hit but getting it invested over in UK we have made good inroads into that loss. While there was a time when we considered Turkey full time not now, too many risks politically and economically. We will stick with our plan of long stints in each location. We too have a 3 year residency due to end Sep 15 and if necessary we would do the 90/180 visa, as long as that is still available. On a practical level NB they might at your bank have a daily limit on how much you can move, therefore you will incur extra charges as you might need to do it over several days.

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 16:02:36 PM »
Depending on what the exchange rate was when you invested in Turkey, you will take a hit changing back to sterling  - lira sinking still further at the moment. Only consolation is the interest gained on lira savings. I would wait until after the election if I were you rather than a knee jerk reaction, things might settle a bit at least for a while.

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 18:06:49 PM »
The islamification changes that are and `might` happen in the future here in Turkey both economically and politically are if it happens  not really going to affect the average ex pat living here... lets be fair. If you are turkish, with a young family yes, be concerned and I  feel for them ...and its frightening for them. Not the ex pats   who live here ?
Most  ex pats  are `knocking on a bit`out here, many in their 60`s and even 70`s... most have private pensions, state pensions, and big money in the banks here at the moment getting nearly 10% interest.. and at the moment enjoying 3.60 tl to all their pounds coming over every month... so tell me ?  why is Turkey bad for them, and many want to return to the UK ??  They criticise and moan about Turkey constantly when most of them `have never had it so good`  out here. 

Sorry .. but the UK isn`t the place it was and its fast going downhill in many ways...uncontrolled  immigration for one..   EU  another ,
I certainly worry for  the future of  my kids and grandchildren  in the UK.
Take a look around you ex pats... Turkey and your lifestyle and wealth , wining and dining and many of the good things in life out here... you have nowt to worry about for the `not  so many` years you have left`    if you stay in Turkey.     Feel  for the young turkish with families in the towns and villages and what the future might hold for them and their young families

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 18:20:11 PM »
I would seriously leave your money where it is at the moment, you would lose out very heavily by putting it back in uk, and I think your money is far safer in Turkey than UK.

Offline barry44544

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 19:09:47 PM »
Hope you weren't laughing when you posted this??

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 19:27:46 PM »
Hope you weren't laughing when you posted this??

Not at all Barry, and neither would you if you'd had your debit card account emptied.

Offline barry44544

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 21:03:53 PM »
Her in doors does that every month!!!
Obviously the " laughing" reference  sailed overhead.....
In the many years I have lived in Fethiye I would say that the number of women wearing head scarfs has gone down. Even lots of my neighbours wife's have stopped, they are not young girls.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
sending money back.
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 08:03:28 AM »
It is a worry, but personally I feel safer leaving my money in Turkish  account, although rates are now down to 8.5%.
Don't put all your eggs on one basket. Banks will guarantee safety of money up to 100000tl, I think double for joint account.
So make sure it's not over that amount and you'll be ok.
Not sure where UK is but Turkey is 15th biggest economy in the world currently.
The main thing I would say is if possible buy a bolt hole in the UK, even a 1 bedroom flat somewhere.
I guess a lot depends on people's reasoning for moving here, people who want high interest rates and cheap booze are going to find it won't suit them, Erdogan wants zero interest rates and alcohol taxes will continue to rise as the agenda becomes increasingly Islamic, which it definitely will do after tomorrow.
If you want to embrace the culture, enjoy the country for what it is then fine.
I will stay as long as my money allows or until I have to wear a burka!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf