Author Topic: What to take  (Read 3179 times)

Offline Tartdog

« on: April 28, 2008, 11:17:17 AM »
Couple of questions please.
1) Has the turkish lira changed since I last went in 2001?
2) Whats the best currency to take on holiday to Turkey,have read somewhere that a lot of visitors on holiday take only Sterling as they get a better rate at the shops etc,any truth please advice.
Thanks in advance.   Tartdog. :)

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 11:48:51 AM »
There is a lot of info on this within the Forum.  The currency has been re-valued since then so is very different. You can see on the Forum page that the latest is 2.62 TL to the £.  The general advice is to take cash and a Abbey National card with you as they dont charge for taking money out.  My experience is that Sterling and whisky are both generally accepted:D

Offline kevman

What to take
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 11:53:56 AM »
Last year you could spend Turkish Lira and Pounds Sterling.Just watch the exchange rates at the time you are there and then you will know wether it is a rip off or genuine exchange

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 12:45:38 PM »
....and dont use the Currency Exchange office in the centre of Hisaronu unless you specifically ask for a receipt.  They will rip you off if they can get away with it.

Offline jwood

• Nottingham, UK
What to take
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 12:54:42 PM »
HappyMonday, don't you mean a Nationwide Flex account card, or do Abbey not charge also ?

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
What to take
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 13:32:41 PM »
Depends which cash machine you use with Abbey cards !   Several banks won't charge, one did (sorry, can't remember which one).  We usually only take a few lire to get by with for the first day, and then use cash cards, much better rate than changing in the UK.  I also take a bit in sterling, as you can usually do a good deal on the markets if you have a few pounds in your pocket  (T shirts 4 for £10 etc !). ;)

Offline julesbob0303

What to take
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 21:39:48 PM »
Following on from HappyMonday -

...........and don't use the money exchange bloke outside the clothes shop in Fethiye.  He will also rip you off.

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
What to take
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 21:49:29 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by julesbob0303

Following on from HappyMonday -

...........and don't use the money exchange bloke outside the clothes shop in Fethiye.  He will also rip you off.

:-\ Does he - I used him a couple of weeks ago - I was really chuffed with the rate and I calculated what I should get from him- no problems with the deal.

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 21:54:37 PM »
Whoops! John and Jane are right - Nationwide Flex.  The guy outside clothes shop does give a very good rate but you need to check what you get. In all cases - try to exchange in round numbers where it is easy to work out - eg £100 and always ask for a receipt

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
What to take
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 21:55:47 PM »
ditto do not use him i was ripped off once bitten twice shy i thought i had a good deal then realise when he asked me for change that is when he pulled his con

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf