Author Topic: government bonds  (Read 1874 times)

Offline wingnut

government bonds
« on: September 01, 2008, 21:56:52 PM »
Can anyone explain about these please
How do they work
Do you need to be resident to open one
Are they a risk
Is the %rate guaranteed
Is it a 12 month investment
What are you taxed and is interest taxed at source
If you invested £100k gbp what would be the return after tax
I realise now is not a good time to invest due to the TL being low but if someone could work it out at for example 2.25tl to the pound i can go from there thanks peter

Offline Crabbit

• The Fuhrer
  • Prolific Member
  • Location: Here at the moment .... waiting to be with my Angel Pearl again
government bonds
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 22:24:37 PM »
There is a massive risk.
Think of how much you would lose if for example the Lira shot up to 4.5 to the £.
Your £100k would drop to £50k plus the interest of course.

Offline Stressed Eric

government bonds
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 16:11:31 PM »
Government bonds are in lira only. As far as i know, you don't need to be a resident to take out a bond, but i believe you would need to go in branch to deal with them. There are various time scales, generally the ones that run longer give a greater return. eg Garanti are offering a government bond that matures in april 2010 for a rate of around 19.5%-20%. Once you take out your bond your percentage return is guaranteed. You do have to pay 10% of your gain in tax. You can sell your bond before the maturity date, and you may get less than the expected rate, you may get more depending upon the economy at the time.
The main advantage with bonds is that the percentage is fixed, so if the Turkish central bank interest rates go down, as is predicted at the end of the year, you money will still earn the same rate as when you took the bond out.
At the moment it isn't a good time to change your money into lira. But if you change it when the rate is up and put it into a bond, you should do well.

eg if you invest £100K at 2.25ytl/£, firstly you will be investing 225,000ytl. If your bond gives you 19.5%APR and matures april 2010 (19 months), you will end up with 69,469 ytl interest gross, less 10%, which gives you 62521 ytl interest net, and a total of 287,521 ytl.

converting back to £'s. If the rate is still 2.25ytl/£ you will have £127,787.
If the rate rises to 2.7 ytl/£ you will have £105,278

A big difference if the rate goes up. Most predictions are that the rate will go up again, but it may take some time while the pound sorts itself out.
On the other hand it might go down even further in which case you will make even more when you convert back to pounds.
Always a gamble when you're dealing with exchange rates.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf