Author Topic: Driving into Turkey from Europe  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Old Daffodil

Driving into Turkey from Europe
« on: May 20, 2010, 23:59:33 PM »
Have just driven from Britain to Turkey and crossed by ferry from Brindisi in Italy to Igoumenitsa in Greece.Once on the E90 motorway (which you join at Igoumenitsa)it takes you across to the Turkish border via Alexandroupoli we did not see a single service area or even a lay by rest area along the motorway. If you want to stop you have to pull off the motorway and hunt for a garage, toilet or restaurant. There was one dirty little vandalised portakabin loo in some mountains about an hour from Igoumenitsa. The motorway was well built but hardly anyone was using it and the road signs did not give information on distance in kilometres to towns. Luckily we had a full tank of petrol and food and drink in the car. Kavala was a pleasant small town where we took time out.There was graffiti on many of the road signs which blocked out information to drivers.I amazed that anyone would bother go to such remote locations with a spray can to scrawl black graffiti! The Italian graffiti was of a much higher artistic standard and they left the road signs alone!We did not see any graffiti in Turkey. I was really amazed at the Greek part of the journey here.The start of the motorway was even blocked by a huge lump of concrete at Igoumenitsa and after leaving the ferry you have to climb into the mountains to look for it. If you catch the seven o,clock ferry in Italy it means that you are in Greece at four o'clock in the morning and it is a very dark start to the journey. :-\
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 16:09:46 PM by Daffodil »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf