Author Topic: Foreign Plates  (Read 4262 times)

Offline pamsandra

Foreign Plates
« on: September 24, 2010, 12:29:06 PM »
Buying a vehicle - you now need residency, translated passport notorised and obtain your plates in Mugla so require a translator, the plates are no longer available in Fethiye - unless you know different !!!  This rule came into action last week apparently.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Foreign Plates
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 18:39:35 PM »
No doubt someone will be along soon to dispel that rumour.

Offline barry44544

Foreign Plates
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 18:44:45 PM »
Apparently....

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Foreign Plates
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 18:49:11 PM »
Isn't it ridiculous as systems go. I bought the mini yesterday and didn't have to go anywhere for the number plates, someone had left them attached to the car! Why Turkey does it the way they do is entirely beyond me.

Offline kizkucuk

Foreign Plates
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 19:04:11 PM »
When I bought my scooter in July I was told I had one month to change to foreigner plates - had to go to the UK so left it until the last minute to change assuming it would be straight forward - was told when I went to the police in Fethiye that I would have to go to Mugla - my insurance company made lots of calls and a few trips to the trafic police in fethiye and I had to go a few times - was eventually told that they could sort it in Fethiye - I drove on Turkish plates for an extra 3 weeks but eventually got a call from Fethiye with an hours notice to say I should go - arrived at 4pm and left at 4.10pm with my number plate - my insurance company charged me 100tl to sort it out but it was still less hassle than the trip to Mugla.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Foreign Plates
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 19:09:35 PM »
There was talk last year that Turkey was going to adopt the Swiss system. Owners there are issued a "number for life" and they change the plates over to each vehicle that they own. Don't ask me how they get on with owning more than 1 vehicle or more than 1 driver etc.. Don't know, Don't care.

:D ;):D

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Foreign Plates
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 20:39:14 PM »
Has anyone ever given a thought as to whether the Turkish system regarding making ALL foreigners change number plates, is an offence under the Racism Act? Just a thought, after all, Turkey IS a signatory member of, & subject to all Acts as covered by The European Court Of Human Rights.
Gordy.

Offline pamsandra

Foreign Plates
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 11:34:29 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by GordonA

Has anyone ever given a thought as to whether the Turkish system regarding making ALL foreigners change number plates, is an offence under the Racism Act? Just a thought, after all, Turkey IS a signatory member of, & subject to all Acts as covered by The European Court Of Human Rights.
Gordy.

That is an interesting thought, but who is going to test it out !!!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Foreign Plates
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 11:51:33 AM »
Who wants human rights? When I was pulled over by the Jandarma I was more than happy when they spotted my MB plate and waved me through :D

Offline BM06

Foreign Plates
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 11:59:57 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

Who wants human rights? When I was pulled over by the Jandarma I was more than happy when they spotted my MB plate and waved me through :D

That was in the good old days, :) I am afraid its no longer the case, now they see an M plate and decide on how much to screw you for:-\

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf