Author Topic: Airports in Istanbul  (Read 3814 times)

Offline julesbob0303

Airports in Istanbul
« on: March 19, 2011, 00:31:52 AM »
How easy is it to get to the centre of Istanbul from the "other" airport on the asian side, ie not Ataturk?  Can get local flights but not into Ataturk.  If its not too far, may give it a try for a couple of nights in October.

Also, how much, approximately, is an internal flight from Istanbul (either airport) into Dalaman?

Thanks for any help.   :)

Offline johnboy1967

Airports in Istanbul
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 06:10:39 AM »
its very easy to get to the main town . . . There are many buses. But it can take a long time depending on the time of day/week you arrive.

Offline julesbob0303

Airports in Istanbul
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 07:40:25 AM »
Thanks johnboy.  We're thinking of staying at a hotel near the airport for the night as we would arrive around 7.30pm, then make our way into the city centre the following morning, staying a couple of nights in a more central location, then fly back out of Ataturk to Dalaman.  It doesn't look too complicated, and the flight is so cheap, it'll be worth the cost of a hotel room for the night, rather than fly into Ataturk.  Thanks again.   :)

Offline Firo

Airports in Istanbul
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 07:47:48 AM »
Go out of the airport and get the Havas bus. It costs 14tl and takes you to Taksim square where you can easily pick up trams, metro, taxi etc.

You could be in Sultanhamet by 10pm landing at that time of night if you get a taxi from Taxsim Sq.
Very easy but traffic in Istanbul is a nightmare so time may vary.

Getting back to airport we booked one of the pick up services, hotel to airport,you can see in Sultanhamet. It was cheaper and door to door.

We used the Hali Hotel in Sultanhamet. Right in the middle of the attraction with fab views from the breakfast terrace.

http://www.halihotel.com/en/index.php?page=reservation

It's a great place and well worth a visit.
Fi
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 07:52:26 AM by Firo »

Offline julesbob0303

Airports in Istanbul
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 09:08:34 AM »
Thanks Fi.  I've booked the flights (VERY excited now!).  It's our 30th wedding anniversary later in the year.  We gave lots of thought to doing something "special" then decided that, as we love Turkey so much, that was what we wanted to do, but, instead of just flying out to our apartment, we'd have a stop off in Istanbul for a couple of nights, as we've never been before!

Only two seats left on the flight, so not much time to dither!!   :o

Flying out of London and into SAW airport, then back from Dalaman to Bristol (so nice and local on the return leg of the journey), including airport lounges, for a bit more comfort!  Only £300 for both of us for all of that with Easyjet, including luggage and nice day time flights for a total of 9 nights!  :D

Just need to book the hotel in Istanbul and the domestic flight to Dalaman now.  Any advice on internal flight booking would be greatly received!!   :)

Offline Firo

Airports in Istanbul
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 13:28:06 PM »
Pegasus and book on line is the cheapest.
You'll so love it and what a great anniversary trip.

Offline lissa

Airports in Istanbul
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 07:13:38 AM »
Worth looking at both Turkish Airlines and Pegasus flights from Istanbul to Dalaman as TK sometimes has good deals. TK fly from Ataturk airport, which is also cheaper to get a transfer to from Sultanahmet, Pegasus fly from SAW. Taxi from Sultanahmet to Ataturk last week at 05.30 cost me 35 lira.

Offline julesbob0303

Airports in Istanbul
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 19:19:01 PM »
A few more questions you may be able to help me with:-

1.  What time does the Havas bus run until on a Saturday evening?
2.  Would it be worth our while staying at the hotel at SAW airport on the evening we arrive, and making the move in the morning?  We could then stay at a more central point for a couple of nights.
3.  Flights out of SAW into Dalaman are really cheap (50 odd turkish lira each), but it would mean that we'd have to travel back to SAW, and the flight times are just after 6am (so we'd have to stay in the airport hotel the night before), or around 8pm, meaning we'd be lugging a suitcase round all day!  What is the best way round this?
4.  Couldn't find any domestic flights from Ataturk to Dalaman, though to be honest, I didn't spend much time looking!!  Will have a look on the Turkish Airlines site tomorrow, and see what I can find!
5.  A list of places not to miss in Istanbul?

Thanks for all your help!  Just need my hand held a little bit longer then I'm sure we'll cope on our own!!!   :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 19:19:56 PM by julesbob0303 »

Offline Firo

Airports in Istanbul
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 20:59:09 PM »
Leave your case at the hotel till you get the transfer back to airport in the evening, no need to trug it around and then you get most of the day for more sightseeing.
I would go straight to your central hotel then you don't waste a morning moving and traffic will be lighter in the evening than in a morning.
I think the Havas buses is a all day service and the flight you are arriving on is early evening so can't see why it wouldn't run as there are hundreds of flights landing there.
Can fill you in on places to see when we see you in the next few weeks.
Transfers from central Istanbul by private transfer are great as they pick you up from your hotel (where you have left your cases after checking out)and take you direct to SAW I think it was 20 each. That you book when in situ.
Can give you loads of info in April when you're over.
Fi

Offline Eric

Airports in Istanbul
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 21:31:51 PM »
For a very reasonable fee (incl hotels and flights) we can be your guides if you wish.:D:D:D ;) ;) ;) 8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf