Author Topic: Airports in Istanbul  (Read 3816 times)

Offline julesbob0303

Airports in Istanbul
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 16:12:01 PM »
A very delayed thank you for your helpful advice.  Think we will give Pete's route a try!  It doesn't look as complicated as it originally did!  (Think I was a bit bamboozled that day, after looking at flights etc!   :) )

Just one more question - I notice that the prices for the airport shuttle are in EUROS!  Is this the norm in Istanbul?  I hadn't given any thought to getting anything other than some Turkish Lira to take with us!   :o

Still looking at hotels - there are just so many!  I can't decide whether to book something really special, as its for our 30th wedding anniversary, or just a "nice" central hotel with lovely views and good reviews!   :)

Have also looked at the suggestions put forward - they all look so nice!   ;)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Airports in Istanbul
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 18:39:32 PM »
It was our Wedding Anniversary and we stayed at Sirkeci Konak
It's a fabulous hotel with a sun terrace, bar and restaurant on the roof and a gym and pool in the basement. If you look at the pictures on the website you will see the room we had "the deluxe room" lovely views to the park and down to the cruise ships and a nice balony to sit and relax on.   It has won the Travellers Award for the last three years.  We would not think of going anywhere else when we return.
http://www.sirkecikonak.com/

Offline starman™

Airports in Istanbul
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 14:46:02 PM »
The prices maybe quoted in euros but they will and have to accept Turkish lira.
I tried the public transport route once without baggage and wouldnt do it again. The trams can get packed and even worse if you try and drag baggage. Just takes up too much time and very inconvenient.
We had 4 members of family fly in the other week for the Formula 1. We arranged a company to pick them up and bring them to our home in Ortakoy (Euro side) in a chauffeur driven vito. Cost 70 lira, between 4 people thats not a bad price.
As for hotels, if the grand bazaar etc is what you want then its a convenient location. If you been to Istanbul a few times and not interested in the Grand bazaar area then it really is not that great an area. I have several family members coming this August for my wedding and Sirkeci and Sultanahmet area is the last place I would put them.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 14:51:02 PM by starmanâ„¢ »

Offline julesbob0303

Airports in Istanbul
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2011, 16:42:34 PM »
So where would you recommend Starman?

Loved the hotel Jacqui; it really looks lovely.  Trouble is, there is just so much choice and loads of the hotels look fab!  I'll get it sorted in the end!!!   8)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Airports in Istanbul
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 17:23:34 PM »
If you are a first time visitor, the area you will want is near the Grand Bazaar etc., Our Hotel was in walking distance of Topkapi Palace (which has the cheapest souvenir shop in the grounds, all genuine Turkish made items and all items priced). The Blue Mosque and in the other direction 5 minutes to the ferries for day trips.  There is also a little Bazaar near the ferries which, on a Sunday has lots of market stalls in all the streets around it.  
I have to say Topkapi was my favourite place absolutely loved it have never seen jewels like the ones they have.  The Hotel we stayed in must be doing something right they are always in the top three Istanbul Hotels on Tripadvisor and keep winning the Travellers Choice award every year. ;)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 17:25:11 PM by Jacqui Harvey »

Offline Elsa Padfield

• Minehead, UK
Airports in Istanbul
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 20:39:35 PM »
Thanks for all the advice to Julesbob.  We're thinking of going to Calis via Istanbul in September/October so i think I'll be 'pilfering' the advice.   :)

To get from Istanbul to Calis, I thought about getting a train to Denizli (I think there's one?) and then bus from there. IOr is is more cost effective to fly?  And how would i go about buying a tran ticket?  Thanks

Offline julesbob0303

Airports in Istanbul
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 21:34:46 PM »
Hi Elsa, we booked flights from Istanbul to Dalaman through Pegasus.  They were £20 each one way, which I thought was fantastic!   :)

Our flights from London to Istanbul were £49 each (again one way) so a bargain holiday.  At that price, we could even afford to book the airport lounge in London to while away the time with a little drink or two!!   :o

The flights from Dalaman to Bristol to get us back home were also very cheap (I think about £80 each).   :)

Just the hotel to book in Istanbul now!   ;)

Have a great time.  May even see you there as we're going in October.  [:o)]

Offline starman™

Airports in Istanbul
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2011, 06:20:31 AM »
If you are a first time visitor to Istanbul then I agree that being around Eminonu is the best bet due to location to most of the tourist sites.
If not a first time visitor and dont want to be among the tourist crowds then there are plenty of small boutique hotels along the Bosphorus.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Airports in Istanbul
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2011, 12:19:03 PM »
We have booked with Pegasus to go from Dalaman next March (£15.90p each retn) and are staying 5 mins from the Blue Mosque at the Hotel Dara for 6 nights.

The reviews for the hotel were very good (even though it was very reasonably priced)and as we like walking around the more traditional areas, me practising my Turkish and being woken up by the calls to prayer (which seemed to be the only criticism by a small number of the hotel) so we are hoping this will suit us.

Getting from the airport using the E10 sounds not only the best but by far the cheapest option so thanks for the details.

Just hope our 2 medium sized cases don't present a problem - but in Turkey I wouldn't think so!

Ian :D

Offline Elsa Padfield

• Minehead, UK
Airports in Istanbul
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
Hi Julesbob,  thanks for the flight details.  I haven't booked flights YET.  I know I should but have reasons for waiting just a little longer.  We'll be going probably late Sept and not too sure how long for, where we'll go afterwards and how, but it needs to be decided soon!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf